Egypt Tour for Independent First Timers

Jan 22nd, 2006, 12:11 PM
Original Poster

Egypt Tour for Independent First Timers

My husband and I ("young" retirees) are planning a first-time 3-week trip to Egypt for this spring. I am overwhelmed by the various tour options available. We have always travelled independently, but are thinking that a tour of some type might be best in Egypt. Any suggestions for small group or semi-independent tour options? Also, any recommendations for special experiences that tours often don't include? (For example, we want to visit an oasis and the western desert.) Thanks for you help!
Jan 22nd, 2006, 12:57 PM
sandi

Do a search on this board. In the box atop enter Egypt tour operators, click the Search button on the right. The threads containing information will appear on the left.

There have been many threads on this board about travel to Egypt, including trip reports that posters have been good enough to provide here. Find them and read thru.

Of the top of my head, one I recall is Egypt Highlights (or Egyptian Highlights) who seems to be well received with reasonable prices. They also do trips to the Western desert which in 3-weeks you have time to visit.

Another is Debbie Senters, an American living in Cairo with her own company specializing in Cairo, especially places off the tourist track; also Luxor. For other information, she is a great resource and can direct you, if not book for you herself. You can find information at the company: Casual Cairo Detours or email at [email protected].

Once you have an idea from your search reading of where, which hotels, Nile cruise boat, tours, etc. let us know if you have specific questions or want our comments.

Jan 22nd, 2006, 10:57 PM

I'm an independent traveler type, and would have gone crazy with a tour group (or driven them crazy.) So I designed a custom tour through a travel agent & used a private guide for my first trip to Egypt.

I've used Magdi Hanna for two trips to the desert -- one to the Western Desert & one to Siwa. He does custom desert trips. His web site is Adventuregypt.com. (not a typo) I think he's great. You can run his name on this site & see my trip reports.
Jan 23rd, 2006, 05:05 AM

Try Tut Egypt Tours, http://www.tutegypt.com. They do custom tours so you can do what you want to do when you want to do it with a reliable guide and driver to help you. We used them and I recommend them highly.

Search this Thread