Egypt tour company for September 2010 trip

Jun 16th, 2010, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

Egypt tour company for September 2010 trip

I'm planning a trip to Egypt for late September 2010. After looking thru this site as well as several others, I've narrowed down my choice to 3 companies:

Insight Tours - Best of Egypt
STI - Egypt in Focus
On the go- Jewel of the Nile

I picked these as I'm going alone so rather be in a group.
Can anyone let me know if they have been on these tours or any other by the tour company.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.
Jun 16th, 2010, 09:20 PM

We will be there late sept too. Arrive Cairo sept 28. If u want to trade info email me [email protected]
Jun 17th, 2010, 04:37 AM

My wife and I did the Splendours of Egypt tour with Insight Vacations in January 2008. We thoroughly enjoyed the trip and highly recommend Insight. We have toured with then on 3 occasions (Ireland/Scotland 2002, Grecian Dreams 2009) and will be doing back-to-back tours with them this Fall (Italy, Sicily and Malta).

I have provided a trip report for Egypt which may give you some ideas of do's and don'ts. Should you have any questions please do not hesitate to ask.
Jun 17th, 2010, 06:08 AM

when you join with a group, make sure to be friendly, because other tribe you will not feel happy they will be talking their language only. welcome in africa tanzania to see a lot of animals and to hike mt. kilimanjaro

i wish you all the best
Jun 17th, 2010, 06:15 AM

We did Splendours of Egypt April 2009 and went on to do Treasures of Turkey right after.

I could NOT recommend Insight more highly than I do! Their guides are amazing and they take care of their clients wonderfully.

Splendours is no longer offered, but any tour with a 7 night cruise should be wonderful. They are using a new boat, which wasn't ready when we went.

We figured we could not have done as well with any other company and especially in their price range. The only time I'd consider another company would be if Insight didn't go to our destination.

As DaveJJ said, people who go with Insight just keep on going with them as they always leave you happy and wanting more! Egypt was our first Insight tour, but there were several people who had traveled with Insight previously.
Jun 17th, 2010, 08:40 AM

Tinydancer...according to the Insight Vacations website they are still offering the Splendours tour and there are definite departures for September.

http://www.insightvacations.com/ca/i...our_id=2268369

sdny.....other than the number of days, the primary difference between the 'Best of' tour and the Splendour tour is that on the 'Best of' tour you fly from Cairo to Aswan whereas on the other we flew to Luxor then cruised down the Nile, back and forth, between there and Aswan.

If you are considering 'optional tours' you MUST go the Abu Simbel. This one tour should not be missed.
Jun 17th, 2010, 08:44 AM

Sorry.....you take the train (not fly) from Cairo to Aswan.

You may want to do some further research on train travel in Egypt. There are some reports here that would suggest not to do so especially the comments on the bathrooms.
Jun 17th, 2010, 09:34 AM

I took STI's Egypt in Style tour in 2008 and loved it. 2 days more than the 'in focus' - main difference is missing Alexandria which I liked but maybe it's not mandatory.

Highly recommend and I'm considering booking with them again for 2011.

We also did the 4 day extension to Jordan and loved it - if you can fit it in, you should try to see Petra.
Jun 17th, 2010, 09:45 AM

In light of what DaveJJ mentioned above about trains - on our trip with STI we flew from place to place, did not take any trains. Also the trip to Abu Simbel was included in the price, not optional.
Jun 17th, 2010, 11:04 AM

Check on You-tube-there are actual video diaries of the supposed deluxe sleeper trains from Cairo. I"m sure it would be an experience....You can also do a general google search about the trains. It was enough to change my mind. Cramped quarters, lousy food and a noisy rough ride. We will be flying.
Jun 17th, 2010, 12:11 PM

We too arrive in Cairo late September-the 29th. Through all my research I chose Ahmed Hamed Yousif @ [email protected]
I prefer a private guide and driver so if we don't feel like going so early we can. I contacted him a few years ago and once I secured our plane tickets he worked with the itenary I wanted. He was able to get me on a Nile Cruise Ship I had my heart set on. Also we will be having our anniversary in Cairo and my birthday in Alexandria and he is strating us to a meal for both that were not on original itenary.
I will write a detailed report when I get back-although I don;t know how I can compare with some of the other wonderful reports.
Enjoy your stay with whomever you choose-Christine
Jun 17th, 2010, 12:42 PM

<<>>

As I always say, you have to know yourself. We took the train and really enjoyed the experience.
Jun 17th, 2010, 03:25 PM

DaveJJ you rightly corrected me! I neglected to see that I could scroll down on the Insight Vacations site. Your link was for a trip originating from Canada. i'm traveling right now and cannot access the Australian website, so not sure what the difference would be.

This tour does not use the new ship, but we were very happy with ours and I don't think anyone would be disappointed.
Jun 18th, 2010, 02:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the tips. I now remember reading a post about the trains and hows some people didn't enjoy it. I will check out the youtube videos.

I'm sure I'll have more questions.
Thanks again
Jun 18th, 2010, 06:19 PM
P_M

sdny,

I've heard the sleeper train isn't bad just don't take the train where you sit in a chair all night, even in First Class. That's a mistake I won't make again. The term "First Class" isn't exactly what one might expect from First Class Service in our world.