Egypt to Italy? Tour Group Necessary for Safety?

Feb 8th, 2006, 02:11 PM
Original Poster

Egypt to Italy? Tour Group Necessary for Safety?

I'm planning a trip in about a year to see more of Europe. I've decided to try and put Egypt on my itinerary, and then to fly to Italy from Cairo. Is it strange to go from Egypt to Italy? Maybe a huge culture shock, but the two places are high on my list of places to go, so I figured I might as well see both in the same trip.

Also: should I definitely book my time in Egypt with a tour company? I'm trying to do this as cheaply as possible, but also as safely as possible, and since I'm a female traveling alone, perhaps the extra money for the security the tour groups provide would be worth it. I have been reading up on the precautions I should take as well, which I will definitely follow.

Any advice or suggestions on whether I should go with a tour group or if flying from Egypt to Italy just sounds silly or not would be welcome and appreciated.
Feb 8th, 2006, 03:19 PM

Hello,

I can't answer your question about culture shock as yet, but I'll post when I return -- I'll be going from Florence to Cairo in March. There are plenty of flights from Cairo to Rome or Milan with Alitalia.

I'll be travelling to Egypt for a week with my sister, followed by some solo time (she's a beach person and I'm really not so we're splitting up). We are travelling independently, as we've done since we became adults (though we had plenty of group trips as kids); neither of us like the regimented nature of group travel -- it's too much like being on a school trip, herded like cows from place to place, and the itineraries never seem to suit our interests since we often prefer local interaction to the standard tourist sights. We've booked some time with a guide in Cairo but other than that we are on our own.

My sister will be on her own for about a week once we split up, and she isn't that worried about being harrassed by Egyptian men (she's 29). However, to put things in perspective, she travelled solo for six months in Asia, covering India, Laos, Vietnam, and Thailand.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Julian
Feb 8th, 2006, 04:27 PM

Two of us, both females, visited Egypt in 2000. Our travel agent here arranged for a travel agency there to provide transfers and a tour guide just for the 2 of us, on each leg of our trip, which consisted of several days in Cairo and a Nile cruise. (I have searched and unfortunately cannot find the name of our Egyptian agency.)

I would recommend highly that you look into this. The cost was very reasonable, we had a tour guide's undivided attention, and we could go wherever and whenever we pleased. (Communication there was very difficult and English usage/signage was not widespread, even in Cairo and less so away from Cairo.)

Also today, it may be best not to be a part of a large group of obvious tourists.
Feb 9th, 2006, 02:07 PM
Original Poster

thank you for the suggestions!

Search this Thread