Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > EGYPT: The Bent Pyramid, Red Pyramid, Abydos, and Nefertari's Tomb

EGYPT: The Bent Pyramid, Red Pyramid, Abydos, and Nefertari's Tomb

Oct 6th, 1997, 09:04 AM
Gene Kasprzyk

EGYPT: The Bent Pyramid, Red Pyramid, Abydos, and Nefertari's Tomb

I am interested in visiting the Bent Pyramid and Red Pyramid. Has anyone done this? How can it be aranged to be sure the guide is knowledgeable of these newly opened sites? What is the best way to be sure to gain entry into Nefertari's tomb? Can Abydos be accessed from Luxor without special permission fromn the government? How to I find a qualified guide for Abydos? Thanks

Oct 23rd, 1997, 03:10 PM
Paula

Abydos has never been a closed area - the Red and Bent Pyramids were closed because they were in the area of military installations. Wherever you stay in Luxor can recommend someone for the rathe long drive to Abydos and Denderah. You also can get a government guide from Misr. Some of the sights have guides available with less than perfect knowledge but they can point you in the right direction. Your trusty guidebook can do the rest.

Nefartari is more difficult. Presently only 150 people allowed in daily. The only way you can break through this is with connections.

The Bent and Red Pyramids are accessible from Cairo - just ask at your hotel.

e-mail for further info - I have been there and I do it!
tutsgold.com Makes Egypt Happen!!!

Search this Thread