Search

Egypt so expensive??????

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26th, 2009, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Egypt so expensive??????

I usually travel independently, but in the case of Egypt I am reluctant to do so.

I am a solo traveller and hate, actually dispise paying the single supplement.

I have looked at cost for tours to Egypt mainly Globus, Insight, Trafalgar, etc and some adventure companies (GAP, Kumuka, etc) and find the tours very very expensive.

Prices are about $2,500 for a 9 or 10 day tour. Is this normal for Egypt? Including the single supplement and the additonal cost of the Abu Simbel excursion.

I know I can cut down on expenses by taking the overnight train, but I've read horror stories on this forum about that, so I was just looking at tours that fly within Egypt.

Of course, the adventure companies were less, than Globus, Trafalgar, Insight but often you need to share accomodation, I don't wnat to do this, and I've read terrible reviews of some of the hotels these companies use on trip advisor.

I did look at Cosmos, and don't care to visit Alexandria, they apper to be cheap, but don't include a nile cruise, once you add this on, it's expensive too.

I emailed Lady Egypt, I know alot of people here have recommended them and was quoted $2400 for their Nile Dream itineary, which I find to be very expensive especially since it travels by overnight train between Cairo and Luxor/Aswan. The price includes a single supplement and Abu Simbel.

So, I really don't know how to go about this, are these the prices? Or, am I looking at the tour companies? What am I doing wrong?

Any information would be appreciated.
Old Jul 26th, 2009, 12:05 PM
Original Poster

should read Or, am I looking at the wrong tour companies? in the second last paragraph.

Also, I should add that Gap has different types of tours, their comfort class tour of Egypt wasn't any less than Globus/Insight, etc. i also, think that I'm too old to go on an adventure tour.
Old Jul 26th, 2009, 01:21 PM

Hi

Have you checked out Gate1 Travel. They seem to be quite popular too.

http://www.gate1travel.com/egypt-tra...B-68B522C9755D
Old Jul 26th, 2009, 01:34 PM

Unfortunately, as a solo traveler, you get hit with the single supplement. OAT, which some posters seem pleased with do have a program of no single supplement if willing to share. Something to consider.

On the Gate-1 site appears the Land Only prices are quite reasonable, but then you're responsible for the international air and probably the airport/hotel transfers.

Unless you can do better than what the tour operators offer, it seems to be that those are the prices and are seasonal.

Of course, the various tour operators each offer different hotels and boats, though sights/tours seem to be the same.
Old Jul 26th, 2009, 02:10 PM
Original Poster

Good point about Gate 1, I had looked at them, I found the cheaper packages had too many price add ons, and only appeared to be attractive pricewise.

A comfortable trip is important to me, and I really question the quality of the hotels and cruise ships that some operators use.
Old Jul 26th, 2009, 06:38 PM

Hi retiredinflorida

I particularly enjoyed reading this very detailed trip report posted on the cruisecritic board. The poster seemed to be happy with Gate 1.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=735948
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 07:45 AM

Consider whether you can put together something yourself and compare prices. For example, based on hypothetical dates in November, round trip airfare Cairo to Luxor is $222, round trip airfare Cairo to Aswan is $279, night in Cairo Marriott is $180, night in Cairo three star hotel $62, Luxor Sheraton is $160, 3 star hotels in Luxor $35, day trip Abu Simbel from Aswan is $75. You may not need a guided tour for the entire time but consider whether the cost of a private guide for a few hours or joining a group day trip to a particular site is worthwhile. Make a rough plan, price out the components on the internet and then see if you think the extra cost for a tour company making the plans and guiding you around there is worth it to you or not.
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 09:50 AM

Check out SmarTours.com for a trip to Egypt. I've used them for Vietnam, South Africa and Croatia. Each tour is large, very well organized and we would recommend them.
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 11:17 AM

Hi retiredinflorida

This is a local company call Egypt Sunshine
just check them website they are very helpful
www.egyptsunshine.net

Regards
samya
Old Aug 6th, 2009, 06:41 PM

Hi RetiredinFlorida

Take a look at www.egypt-quality-tours.com, they can tailor your tours to suit you and your budget even if you are a single traveller.

Good luck and hope you enjoy Egypt

Scotsgirl
Old Aug 12th, 2009, 08:02 AM

I used MISR travel when I went to Egypt. They were willing to work with in my budget and time line. I must admit I had a wonderful time and got to do exactly what I wanted.
Old Aug 13th, 2009, 11:28 AM

Have you tried ClubABC?