Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > Egypt:so excited about mosques but do know what time in the day to go?

Egypt:so excited about mosques but do know what time in the day to go?

Jul 21st, 2000, 01:55 PM
shannon

Egypt:so excited about mosques but do know what time in the day to go?

Will this be a problem? I have read all the other posts about Egypt in this forum and now know to cover up when visiting mosques (does this include my hair - won't a hat be disrespectful?!) But my main question is what time do you visit a mosque? Certainly I do not want to be rude and visit when prayers occur. Please help!

Jul 22nd, 2000, 08:52 PM
Al

Not to worry, Shannon. Go when you get there with the understanding that they will shoo you out when the appointed times of prayer come. In general, there are five of these daily. Cover your arms, do not wear shorts, but don't worry about any head covering. Of course, you will be required (as will everyone) to remove your shoes as you prepare to enter. At some mosques, your shoes are left at the door on racks. More and more of the important mosques, however, issue visitors plastic bags in which you put your shoes and carry them with you as you walk around, leaving the empty sacks at the door when you leave. Most important: keep your voice down, take no photos inside, stay with your group, do not go wandering off, and do not look any of the men in the eyes. Never point or stare or laugh at anyone. If seated, never show the bottom of your feet to anyone, but keep them tucked under. It's disrespectful. You will find visiting a mosque to be one of the high points of your visit. You will be welcomed, but there are courtesies to be observed.

Search this Thread