Egypt-Smithsonian Tour?

Oct 31st, 2005, 04:45 PM
Original Poster

Egypt-Smithsonian Tour?

Has anyone been on a Smithsonian Egypt tour? How about hotel at Baharian Oasis?
Oct 31st, 2005, 10:10 PM

My parents used to go on Smithsonian trips & loved them. I took a look at the Smithsonian website & the trip that goes to Bahariya & it looks interesting. The site where they found the Golden Mummy is off limits for most people, so that is a real treat. I'm sure that Smithsonian will put you up in the best place in the area -- but there's not a lot of choice.
Nov 1st, 2005, 11:36 AM

My sister and I just returned from a 12 day tour through Smithsonian Tours. We traveled to Egypt with a Nile cruise included. The first few days are rough. After arriving, we had lectures, which were very good, but with jet lag, hard to concentrate on and early wake-up calls (3am, 5am) with late nights (one night 12 pm with 5 am wake-up the next day). It was very rushed. Our hotels and food was ok. The cruise ship, Sonesta Sun Goddess, was very nice. We didn't go to see the Golden Mummies but our guide did tell us that it was over-rated, but you can't go by him. I'm sure the the hotel is nice, remember that 5 star in US is not the same as 5 star in Egypt. I will be honest, if I went again I woud think hard before going with Smithsonian. Our guide was not friendly, the questions he did answer was short and at times snide. He did not check ahead on places being open (the library in Alexandria was closed we found out after driving 3 hours from Cairo). When we boarded the ship, we wouldn't see him until we went ashore or for the lecture at night. The other tours on board had their guide with them answering questions about what we were seeing as we sailed every day. We were on our own. Over all, I didn't feel that the tour was up to the price we had to pay for it. Maybe it was because of Ramadan, I don't know.

Search this Thread