Egypt - Sinai - sunset climb - question

Jan 8th, 2005, 09:56 AM
gac1yahoo

Egypt - Sinai - sunset climb - question

Hello
we are going to be in the Sharm/Nuweiba area in Feb. Want to do Sinai climb..

Which is the best base Sharm or Nuweiba..?
Going with two kids, so morning climb will be tough. Wondering it is possible to do evening climb..?
If yes, how should I plan..?
How do we get down when it is dark..?
Do I need a guide to do this..?

Thank you all for your advise and help

Jan 8th, 2005, 11:02 AM

The standard proceedure for this is to go up about midnight and climb for the next 4 or so hours, arriving just in time for sunrise. There will be loads of people doing this every night that it is open so don't worry about a guide although for transport purposes you may find it easier to go with a group tour rather than mess with trying to arrange private transport. I know groups go from Sharm, and they probably go from Nuweiba. My only thought on that though is that the groups from Sharm might be bigger meaning more comfortable transportation up there. If the group from Nuweiba is small enough they will probably only hire a microbus which is uncomfortable and cramped. The kids would be miserable. Anyway, so you climb til sunrise and come down the hill in the daylight in the morning. If the kids have napped during the day I think they'd be fine. There are so many people going up with flashlights that they will probably wake right up and get with the program.

Have fun.

Search this Thread