Egypt - side trips advice and others

Nov 9th, 2006, 04:45 AM
Original Poster

Egypt - side trips advice and others

Hi I've already booked my trip to Egypt but after reading some recent trip reports, I guess I still need some advice... my itenerary is as follows (and I can not change it anymore, since it is already paid for...)
Day 1: Arrive Cairo at evening
Day 2: Cairo (pyramids,bazaar and museum)
Day 3: Cairo (old cairo, mosques, etc..)
Day 4: Cairo -side trip to Alexandria for the day and night train to Luxor
Day 5: Luxor - karnak temple and valley of the kings
Day 6: Luxor - valley of the queens
Day 7 : Leave Luxor and go to Hurghada (which I deeply regret after seeing recent posts, but can not change anymore)
Day 8: Hurghada
Day 9: Hurghada
Day 10: back to London.

My questions would be:
a) I read some fantastic recent reports regarding the Camel market near Cairo (18km far)and I really would like to see it. Does anyone think it is insane to try to squeeze it in Day 3???
b) As I said, I already deeply regret going to Hurghada, so please, can you give me some ideas of side trips?? Mount Sinai? Is it possible to go to Aswan for the day from there? Visit a Oasis?
c) We will have guides w/ us on Cairo, Alexandria and Luxor, but I did not hire anyone to pick us up from the airport or anything like that. Any security advices? Anyone had problems with getting a taxi from airport or train station???

As I said before, I can not change my itenerary anymore (hotels already paid, etc...). The only flexibility I have is around which tours to make and also Alexandria is optional.

Thanks in advance for your help !

Cheers, Juliana.
Nov 9th, 2006, 06:40 AM

The camel market is not that distant from the city center, and you should be able to visit in the morning (I think I spent only an hour or so at the market -- I was only "window shopping").

Nov 9th, 2006, 07:05 AM
Original Poster

Cool! Thanks!
Nov 12th, 2006, 08:26 PM

Whilst in Luxor try to make a visit to the Tombs of the Nobles. Probably easiest tied in with Day 6
www.leightravelclub.com
Nov 12th, 2006, 09:50 PM

I'd hire someone to meet and greet you at the airport & put you on the plane when you leave. It can be confusing there especially when you arrive in a jumbo jet in the early hours of the morning & there are no signs telling you what to do.
Nov 13th, 2006, 02:49 AM
Original Poster

Sunshine , tks for the tip - any advice/links of companies that could do that?
Nov 13th, 2006, 05:51 AM

What hotel are you staying in? The hotel should be able to arrange a meet & assist for you.
Nov 13th, 2006, 07:47 AM

Hey,
A few comments on your itinerary-
1-I spent a weekend in Hurghada and really enjoyed it; the Red Sea is gorgeous and many of the resorts are very nice. Yes, there will probably be alot of Russians, but there are also alot of Europeans, I noticed a fair amount of Brits, and you'll be unique, which isn't all bad. Just don't arrive there hating it, and I'm sure you'll have a lovely time. After Cairo and Luxor, you're going to wait some beach time.

2-The problem is not finding a taxi at the airport, the problem is negotiating the price and dealing with the hassle of taxis drivers accosting you the moment you leave customs. Like someone else mentioned, I'm sure the hotel can arrange a private transfer, or at the very least, use one of the yellow cabs, if you can find one. Their fares are set, and they are usually cheaper than regular cabs anyway to and from the airport.

3-I really don't think you have time to see the rest of Cairo and the camel market on day three. The pyramids and the musuem will occupy pretty much all of day 2, and day 3 will be fairly crowded with visiting Islamic Cairo and Old Cairo and the Citadel, if these are sites you want to see (and you should). You'll see plenty of camels by the pyramids, anyway.

Laura

The problem is not the availability
Nov 14th, 2006, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

Grcxx3 and Laura - thanks a lot for the tips!!!!

a) I will send my hotel a note and see what they come back with - and I'm staying at the Pyramisa Park.

b)you're right ab Hurghada Laura... I should not hate it before I get there Plus, I guess after 7 days of a very tight schedules and waking up very early everyday, I'll probably enjoy a couple of days on the beach

c)I still really want to see the market,but I'll give it some further thought based on yr comments .....

Guys, again tks for all the help - it would have been absolutely impossible to plan my trip w/out the help a got from this forum!!!!!
Nov 14th, 2006, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

correction: the hotel is actually the Intercontinental Pyramids Resort Cairo
Nov 14th, 2006, 09:20 AM

The hotel should definitely be able to arrange a meet & assist for you.

You should be met by a hotel rep when you get off the plane (well, once you get into the main arrival area). That person should help you get your visa, get you thru passport control, help to collect your luggage and get thru customs. Then he should get you to a hotel vehicle (van or taxi) and there should be no additional charge. (Okay - the hotel may charge you for this service - and it is WELL worth it - but there should be no there costs except tips).
Nov 14th, 2006, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

GRxx3 - thanks again, I've already contacted my hotel, hopefully they'll reply soon... as for visas,we are planning to get them before we get to the airport,to avoid crowds and unecessary lines.
Nov 14th, 2006, 09:59 AM

I may have missed it somewhere....but what time of year are you going?

As for Hurghada....yes it's touristy (I prefer El Gouna - just up the coast a little), but it will be a welcome change after your pharonic adventures. Enjoy a quad bike ride into the desert, find a golf course and hit the driving range, try to arrange a deep-sea fishing trip, and more than anything....just relax before heading back to the big city!
Nov 14th, 2006, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

Grcxx3 - I'm leaving on the 25th of December and will be in Egypt for 9 days....