Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Egypt safe in 3 days? :( (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/egypt-safe-in-3-days-898375/)

winterbaby Jul 11th, 2011 11:15 AM

Egypt safe in 3 days? :(

Hello if anyone saw my last post then you read that I was going to Egypt July 14-31, landing july 15 in the morning. This was my graduation present for graduating and now my mom is scaring me because of all the stuff she reads in Egypt News and now apparently all the power in Tahrir is off and its becoming dangerous once again. This is crazy to me because everything went downhill in Egypt THREE DAYS before I flew in last time and didnt even make it to Egypt in January! Now its happening again..is anyone expecting anything dangerous? Should I be ok if I avoid Tahrir? Will be in Cairo for 6 days then Sharm for 6, if there is time we will go to Alexandria but Cairo definitley the last day. If anyone has any input please inform me thanks and provide tips if possible THANKYOU.

qwovadis Jul 11th, 2011 01:18 PM

monitor travel.state.gov Egypt sign in with your embassy

stay flexible move with a group if possible and

insuremytrip.com Patriot for me usually from $1-2 per da

has saved me twice lately glad I had it.

layanluvstotravel Jul 13th, 2011 05:03 AM

winterbaby,

We are in Egypt right now (with kids ages 12 and 14). Egypt is as safe as anywhere. Come to Egypt and ignore all the worries. The media exaggerates what's happening here. Unfortunately, the tourism industry is hurting badly b/c people are scared. The biggest worries are heat stroke, getting scammed by touts, getting run over by a car (the driving is horrible here) and Pharoah's revenge (which you can avoid by staying away from street food and raw veggies/fruits and drinking bottled water). We also got robbed $300 which were in a locked safe at the Four Seasons (they are investigating but I did read on the net that locked safes can be broken into so keep that in mind).

We visited Tahrir Square (we were at the Egyptian Museum) a day before the protest that occurred last week. They protested the next day and.... that was it. The protestors are camping out there b/c apparantly change is not happening at the pace they want it to and a lot of the old regime is still in power and/or getting out of jail without punishment and for so many other reasons.

Anyway, long story short ------------- come to Egypt! It's crazy chaos but there's no worries and it's an amazing country!

winterbaby Jul 13th, 2011 05:30 PM

Layan Thankyou so much I read that to my mom..were on our way to airport right now and it really Helped put us at ease. Thanks so much

layanluvstotravel Jul 14th, 2011 09:21 AM

Glad I could help! My mom was really nervous about us coming here too and she tried to change our minds (numerous times). I'm so glad we ignored everyone back home (including my mom!). Just practice common sense and you'll be fine.