Egypt's Food

Apr 9th, 2005, 10:56 AM
Original Poster

Egypt's Food

We are taking a trip in Feb to Cairo. Can anyone tell me what the food is like? Is it dirty their? We are staying at the Cairo Sheraton & Towers. I believe it is right on the Nile.
We went to China last year and had a fabulous time. However, I lost 18 lbs due to the food. I know some of you would think that was great all that weight was lost. Trust me. It was horrible. Also, is it safe to drink the water?
All of our friends think we are crazy as well. Oh well...This life is not a audition for a play. You don't get a second change. I say...go for it. See all and Do all!
Apr 9th, 2005, 11:13 AM

We just returned from Egypt/Jordan and have also been to China. The food at hotels and restaurants was typical Middle Eastern fare--very good, though after 3 weeks of it, a bit tiresome. At the Sheraton you should have great breakfasts. I would judge the quality of the food better than what we had in China in 1999. We had no hesitation about the safety of the food and ate salads, etc. without worry; no one in our group of 15 had a serious gastro-intestinal problem. You do need to drink bottled water, which is readily available. I brushed my teeth with hotel water, but was advised not to do so on our Nile boat cruise. If possible, try to include a trip to upper Egypt and a Nile cruise. Egypt is a wonderful country with friendly people--you will have a great trip! See all and do all could be our motto too.
Apr 9th, 2005, 12:24 PM

First - the environmental dirt issue. Cairo is very dirty and dusty. While we saw shop keepers meticulously sweeping the sidewalk and street, they then would dump everything in the Nile. At Cairo, the Nile is also a rather dirty river - but I don't think you are planning to swim in it or drink from it. Much of this has to do with the fact that it rarely rains and water is at a premium - imagine what our streets would look like if there was sand and dust everywhere and it never rained!

I brought some of the alcohol-based hand gel sanitizers. Also a good idea to bring some tissues for use in bathrooms.

The food. We found food in hotels and on cruise to be a mix of Middle Eastern and Western food. The bread was wonderful - so even if you worry about food-borne illnesses or do not like some foods, there is always great bread. We ate at several buffets which were as described above. Also ate a few lunches at kebob-type places - also very good.

You will get mixed opinions on what is safe to eat and drink. I would not advise drinking any tap water. When you buy bottled water, make sure the cap is sealed, and dry off any water on bottle from the ice in which it was sitting. If you want to be safe, follow the standard avoidance of raw and/or unpeeled fruits and veggies, including salads. Be careful on buffets that food is kept hot and cold, as appropriate.

Much of the dairy is not pasteurized by Western standards.

We did not get ill, but some in our group who were less rigid about food did. But there are also those who eat more liberally and do not get sick - your choice. We did not buy any foods from street vendors, including lemonades and teas, because of water concerns.

Even with these food restrictions, we found plenty to eat and had a great time - hope your trip is great too
Apr 9th, 2005, 12:26 PM
Original Poster

Thank you. We are taking the Nile Cruse on the M/S Tulip. Anyone ever heard of that? Wingsegypt Cruises.

Search this Thread