Egypt - Red Sea Dive or Mount Sinai?

Dec 3rd, 2004, 04:15 AM
Original Poster

Egypt - Red Sea Dive or Mount Sinai?

I am planning a trip to Egypt in February next year. I have a very tight schedule. I have to decide whether to do 3 dives at the Red Sea (Sharm or Hurghada) or to climb Mount Sinai to catch the sunrise and see Saint Catherine's monastery. Any feedback or opinions would be appreciated.

I do realise that one's diving experience is relevant - so by way of background info, I have done over 200 dives, at places like Maldives (LOB), Sipadan, Manado, Malapascua and Layang Layang.

Thanks.
Dec 3rd, 2004, 06:43 AM

I did both on my trip in Sept/Oct and just my two cents but I enjoyed the diving at snorkeling at Sharm a lot more than the hike to see the sunrise. But then again I have not been as many places diving as you. Bahamas, California, and the Florida Keys. So Sharm was by far the best for underlife sea I've seen thus far. Sharm may not be as impressive as things you've seen and been to. As for St Catherine's It was very long hike up the mountain and although the sunrise was nice it didn't impress me as much. I wouldn't do it again. But I'm glad to say that at least I've done it once.

I don't know how much of a help that is. Let me know if you have any other questions I can try and help with! Good luck.
Dec 3rd, 2004, 08:54 AM

I am also trying to evaluate the snorkeling in Sharm compared to Thailand (Phi Phi Don),Similan Islands, Fiji, Belize, Honduras and the US and British Virgin Islands.
It is a long trip and the better hotels are $250-$300/day but that is acceptable if the clarity of the water (40-50 ft.) variety of fish and coral and reef outcroppings in 5-20 feet of water(by small trip boat)can give us 3-4 one-half days of really good snorkeling in late Sept.All recent feedback (past 12 months) would be welcomed.
Dec 3rd, 2004, 09:29 PM

Do both! stay in Sharm get up for the sunrise and go on a night dive that night. The other days dive dive dive!!!!!!!!!!! I just finished a one week live aboard out of Port Sudan--bad vis. with an algea bllom, but the hammerheads made up for that. I too have seen the reefs-Cozumel, FiJi, Australia, New Zealand, and I live in Hawaii--Go DIve the Red Sea for sure. Hurghada is a gross place on land, horney locals a lot of Russians 95% where in Sharm only 75% Russians. I dove with Emeror Divers out of Hurghada, and Port Sudan, not sure if they are in Sharm. But excellent operation. Have fun!!!!

Search this Thread