Raising Money for Wildlife Conservation Charity

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19th, 2004, 06:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know that adverts are not permitted in the forums but I'm hoping Fodors will see that this is about a project of mine to raise funds for a wildllife conservation charity and allow it to remain here.

I'd like to invite you to view a series of prints that I am selling to raise funds for the David Shepherd Wildlife Foundation.

http://kavey.dpcprints.com/?tr=fodorsafrica

DSWF achieves real results in conservation by supporting trusted, reputable individuals and organisations operating in the field. Lean on administration, generous on funding, money raised makes a direct difference to the survival of wildlife around the world. They have many projects based in Africa and you can find out more by visiting their website at davidshepherd.org.

The DPC Prints website owners have kindly agreed to donate all of their profit too so 100% of the profits from every print sold will be passed directly to the DSWF to be spent on helping wildlife survive.

I am currently running this project to the end of 2004 but may extend it beyond that.

At the moment there are about 8 prints available but I am adding additional prints shortly including some of elephants, giraffes and other gorgeous Kenyan wildlife.

If you like any of the images please consider buying one and please pass this information on to anyone you know who has an interest in animals, in conservation, in Africa or anything related.

Thank you so much for your time and support
Kavey
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 07:02 AM

hi, do you mean david sheldrick found.?
david
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 07:16 AM
Original Poster

No I meant the David Shepherd Wildlife Foundation, as per my post above and also the website link I provided.
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 07:28 AM

oh ok, sorry. i'll take a look when i can.
david
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks David!
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 02:58 PM

Kavey,
Wow, you've got some really great photos there!

I have one question for you...I know digital has now come of age but (with all due respect)...
Why the HECK haven't you tried shooting slide film yet?
(Please take that as a compliment!)

The richness and detail it would bring out in your photos would be even more incredible than they are now (although they're pretty doggone good the way they are!)

Your photos are wonderful! So is the website!

Old Aug 20th, 2004, 01:07 AM
Original Poster

I don't know really.
These were shot on print film and scanned in at high resolution, which makes it very easy for me to correct colour balance or exposure, crop and so on before uploading.
The next ones I'll load up (once I've finished the current series) will be from the recent trip and are all taken on a digital SLR.
Old Aug 20th, 2004, 07:25 AM
Original Poster

Having made the first sale, wanted to say thanks to whoever bought it (don't know who it was) and ask for anyone interested in this cause to forward the information and link above on to anyone they feel may also be interested.

THANK YOU!
Old Aug 24th, 2004, 12:47 AM

Wow. That David Shepard org is doing some great work. These are the guys who are going undercover to stop poaching and killings. We need them, desperately. His website is eye-opening.

And so are your photos, Kav! Stunning. Post more and you might want to offer 5x7s if you can. I'm mighty smitten with "Tomboy," myself and may have to take him home. I love that you donate practically all but a few cents to the organization. Hmm, that should make that tax-deductible perhaps... Good cause, Kavey. I'm passing it on to another Africa friend now.
Old Aug 24th, 2004, 01:15 AM
Original Poster

Hey Clem!
Can't offer 5x7s as am limited by what print sizes are available from this service. DPC Prints use ezprints to product their prints and there are only set sizes available. Sorry! Hopefully you'll be tempted by the 8x10 one instead!?

There is a base price to each print which covers printing costs and that is the only bit of the overall price that will not be going to charity. The profit (difference between that base price and the sale price) is all going to the charity. It's very generous of the DPC site owners to agree to donate their share of those profits to the cause. I have made sure to detail in each print description exactly how much is going to charity out of the sale price.

I don't know about it being tax deductable - I'm not doing it through my business so it's not something I'm looking into. I'm just doing it to raise as much as I can for them. Their work is so important.

There are several more prints to be added, mostly of elephants. I'll add those as soon as I can.

I have added some new lion prints this morning.

Old Aug 24th, 2004, 04:37 AM

Clematis-
I too, fell in love with little "Tomboy" when I first saw him. I showed my husband Kavey's work last night and he was pretty impressed!
So we'll be buying it in the 8 x ll size and framed.

Kavey-
Too cute of a picture and too worthy of a cause to let it just slip by.
I want to see more..more..more!!! Not trying to rush you though
Old Aug 24th, 2004, 04:53 AM
Original Poster

Aaw thanks folks, your support is appreciated!

Please note that the frames profit will go to site owners as normal, it's only the profit from the image prints themselves that are going to charity.

You may find it easier to buy a frame once you receive the print in the post.
Old Aug 24th, 2004, 06:43 AM

Thanks for the heads up on the frames Kavey!
Old Aug 24th, 2004, 09:09 AM

Kavey, I meant tax-deductible in terms of the buyer! (since so much is going to the charity). Actually you may be able to deduct your contribution as well, now that you mention it, under charities. Regardless, it is both a good thing for them and for us who get to have the photos. We have to do what we can to stop the poachers because these animals are going fast.
Old Aug 24th, 2004, 09:15 AM

Kavey,
My little "tomboy" is on the way! It will definitely add to our home renovation "African style" decor. Looking forward to getting it!

And more importantly, I hope the money is of help in the fight for conservation and wildlife!
Old Aug 24th, 2004, 10:37 AM
Original Poster

CLEM, Well if you can deduct it from tax, that's great. I don't know that I'll bother finding out at my end... as I'm not doing it through my business anyway. If you can, so much the better though, right?

Divewop, THANK YOU SO MUCH!
Old Aug 24th, 2004, 11:59 AM

Hi Kavey
Stunning photos!
I will be ordering at least one but probably more. I agree with the rest Tomboy is so cute! I absolutley have to have at least one of him. One will be for me and the other will be for lion-crazy friend for Christmas. A number of them will make great gifts for friends and family.
Keep up the good fight for this vulnerable group of our fellow creatures.
Alison
Old Aug 24th, 2004, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Alison and to everyone for your support.

I really really wanted to do something to help DSWF but wasn't sure whether my prints would be a suitable avenue to do that. I'm so delighted that you guys like them enough to buy them and support the DSWF at the same time.

Thanks so very, very much!
Kavey
Old Aug 25th, 2004, 09:56 AM

Just put in my order, Kavey. One 8X10 "Across the Masaai Mara" and two "Tomboys". I will follow your advice and have them framed when they arrive (much cheaper for those of us paying in Canadian dollars). These will make nice Christmas gifts for my Africa addicted friends. It is money well spent as far as I can see. Goes to a good cause and acts as a lovely gift as well. Thanks again, Kavey. Hopefully you will get many more purchases.
Old Aug 25th, 2004, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your generous support. I and DSWF and those who actually put to use the funds we contribute all appreciate it very much.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -