Cape Town seaside & wineland recommendations

Old Sep 11th, 2005, 05:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cape Town seaside & wineland recommendations

We are going to have 2 nights in Cape Town and 2 nights in winelands this February.

I would like to stay somewhere that we can see the ocean and easily walk to a beach. It would be ideal if there was some nice neighborhood restaurants in walking distance too. Last time we stayed at Kensington Place which we loved and could eaily return to but I'd rather be on the sea this go round. Would like to keep to $250 a night or less. Any suggestions are appreciated.

I'm completely open for suggestions on wineland lodging as well. Thanks!
Old Sep 11th, 2005, 10:22 PM
Original Poster

I found the Clifton House which may be a perfect fit although I don't know their rates yet as their website is under construction.
Old Sep 12th, 2005, 03:18 PM

PB,

Take a look at the Porfolio Collection website -- they have a lot of options for all budgets, and the properties are great. I spent a month in SA in Portfolio properties and was never disappointed. You can do a geographical search if you want to focus on places by the ocean -- be warned that you will definitely need a car if you stay on the coast.

In the winelands, I would recommend staying in Franschhoek -- it is centrally located (between the other two main winelands towns) and has by far the best restaurants. Selwyn just posted a great report on some new restaurants in Franschhoek.

www.portfoliocollection.com

Cheers,
Julian
Old Sep 13th, 2005, 06:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Julian -- that is a great resource, but they all looks so good its hard to narrow it down.

Also, I did see Selwyn's report and have set my sights on a couple of his recommended restaurants. It does sound like Franschoek is the best area for our wine country base -- but what establishment? That will be my last mission to complete our itinerary.
Old Sep 13th, 2005, 06:48 AM

Le Franschoek is superb. I am sure they have a website.