Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Egypt Next Week: What am I forgetting? (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/egypt-next-week-what-am-i-forgetting-557201/)

Thyra Sep 8th, 2005 04:01 PM

Egypt Next Week: What am I forgetting?

Ok guys, I know it's not Mombo vs Luanga :). But can anyone confirm that they use European style 2 pronged electical devices in Egypt, and will my standard adaptor set work? Do I need to bring back up photo memory cards or can I get them anywhere in Egypt? I have a sweater coat for chilly evenings (If I am lucky ;) Will I need anything heavier? Is there anything weird that I should pack, that someone wished they'd had but didn't??? Thanks mucho for your help.. now back to the game drives...!

sunshine007 Sep 8th, 2005 05:02 PM

lots of toilet paper and/or kleenex?

Sherif Sep 9th, 2005 01:04 AM

Thyra
yes we use 2 pronged electrical devices in Egypt.

You did not mention when you are planning to be in Egypt, but I do not imagine you would need anything heavier.

Get something to wear on your head when you are site visiting during the day.

(am not sure about sunshine's comment regarding kleenex/toilet paper... I assume she is joking... since you can find them sold on every corner)

Sherif Sep 9th, 2005 01:05 AM

Sorry , did not notice the 'Next Week' in the title of your message....

The heavy sweater will be an 'overdo' unless you will be out in the desert at night.

Thyra Sep 9th, 2005 08:41 AM

Thanks for the advice: Sherif, question, please; I have a wide brimmed hat, but would like a nice scarf to wear for visits to Mosques. I am not finding anything here that doesn't look like a bandana. Are there places in Cairo where I could purchase nice, cotton scarves.. I suppose this is a silly question, Egypt is hardly Antarctica.. but I am running out of time! Thanks very much.. T

Hanuman Sep 9th, 2005 09:01 AM

Electrical plugs in Egypt. Yes they use the two round pin plugs like in Europe.

Cotton scarves. My wife bought a lot of cotton and cashmere type scarves from several shops around Egypt. Very good price according to my wife.

We were there during the December/January period and it was freezing at night!

Enjoy your trip.

gail Sep 9th, 2005 10:03 AM

Small bottles of antiseptic/alcohol based hand sanitizing gel.

Extra battery or battery pack for camera (charge one while using the other).

Bring memory cards - don't count on getting them in Egypt.

Some people like to bring the single size drink powders one puts in water bottles - you will be drinking a lot of bottled water and a flavoring is nice sometimes.

Thyra Sep 9th, 2005 10:46 AM

Dear Gail,
Thanks for advice, hadn't though about extra batteries!

Sherif Sep 10th, 2005 02:42 AM

Cotton scarves, you can obviously find a wide selection here... would also be a nice souvenir with some nice imprints.

Batteries are obviously useful...but why carry them from home ? what do millions of Egyptians and on the ground foreigners use ?