Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Egypt - Lady Egypt, payment? (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/egypt-lady-egypt-payment-814038/)

germanblonde Nov 11th, 2009 02:54 PM

Egypt - Lady Egypt, payment?

I have learnt of Lady Egypt from this website. I would like to travel with them for an upcoming trip to Egypt before I start the booking process with them, I'd like to know how fodorites arranged payment with the company? I don't want any problems with wiring funds. Can fodorites who have dealt with Lady Egypt directly please let me know how payment was made? Any advice on how to make a payment to a company overseas?

Thank you.

P_M Nov 11th, 2009 03:19 PM

I used Lady Egypt but I paid with a credit card since I booked thru a London travel agency, which was more like a middleman. I did not know it at the time but this cost me a lot more and I should have booked directly with Lady Egypt as you are doing.

I think PayPal might work but I hope someone else can confirm. I was very pleased with my trip and I think you will be too.

sf7307 Nov 11th, 2009 07:10 PM

I used a credit card because I wanted the protection afforded by Visa. I paid a 3% surcharge for the privilege of using a credit card. While I think Lady Egypt is very reputable, I just wasn't comfortable paying all that money up front (to anyone) without protection. Since the cost was about $6500, the "charge" for using a credit card was less than $200.

Sai Nov 11th, 2009 10:01 PM

We wired the money thru Citibank. No issues. You can do it in portions 50% on booking and 50% before departure.

MissGreen Nov 12th, 2009 01:26 AM

I am currently trying to pay but there is a problem with their secure site... for some reason my credit card won't go through. My bank said the transaction hasn't come through at all. Lady Egypt said this has happened once or twice, for no apparent reason. So I'm just going to wire them the money. I'm in Australia and will be paying in US dollars... so luckily for me, the exchange rate is very good at the moment.

sf7307 Nov 12th, 2009 08:46 AM

MissGreen, I had that problem, too. I ended up emailing them (in several different emails from different computers!) my credit card information.

germanblonde Nov 13th, 2009 04:40 PM

P_M, your trip report on Egypt was fantastic. Did you also Lady Egypt in Jordan or was it another company for the Jordan portion of the trip? If not Lady Egypt, would you know the name of the company? Your experience with the ferry was awful, from first I had thought of flying, reading your trip reports make me certain I'd like to avoid the ferry.

MissGreen Nov 14th, 2009 07:02 PM

SF... my bank told me it was their website. I spoke to the bank manager and he looked up the credit card site and said payment requests didn't even arrive for my card... so he said it wasn't my Australian Bank that knocked it back.

SF... super security concious!! I thought thats why my card was being knocked back... because of a payment going to an Egyptian bank... and one doesn't normally make payments there from Australia.

If only things were free, it would make things a lot easier!!

P_M Nov 15th, 2009 06:19 AM

He germanblonde and thanks for your nice words about my report. I did use Lady Egypt for the Jordan part as well. If there's any way to avoid the ferry then please do. But if you can't avoid it then bring a good book to read while waiting for the delayed ferry and consider it part of the adventure. :-)

germanblonde Nov 15th, 2009 10:19 AM

P_M, thank you. Two things I learnt from your trip report, avoid the ferry and avoid the trains in Egypt, (I know you were not on the sleeper train, and that could be different), the only place I like to see "lemonade" is in a glass on a hot summers day.

MissGreen, I went to inquire about a wire at my local bank, the bank wants an explanation of why I am sending the funds, there's a long form to fill out and the service fees are hefty. There is little difference in the bank fees for a wire and the additonial 3% cc fee from Lady Egypt.