Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Egypt Jordan and Israel. Solo male traveler. Suggestions ?????

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9th, 2009, 11:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have about 12 days to tour Middle East starting 03/16 in Cairo but would also like to visit Jordan and Israel. Have read many forum posting but could use suggestions on an itinerary that would make this work. Egypt interest .. Pyramids, Mt. Sinai, Red Sea, Nile Cruise ???. Jordan.. Petra, Dead Sea, Wadi Rum ??? Israel .... Jerusalem, Tel Aviv, Wailing Wall ???? Thanks for response.
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 11:44 AM

March 16, <u>2009</u>? As in, one week from today?
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 12:02 PM

Duh! I think you should have figured this out before a week before departure. Like how do you plan to get between countries? Land or air?

You can certainly visit Cairo (2/days) and do a Nile Cruise (3-4/days); then from Luxor (I believe) somehow get to Sharm el Sheik (tip of the Sinai peninsula) from where you can do a 2/day trip to St. Catherines/Mt. Sinai. From Sharm believe there's a ferry that'll get you to Aqaba (Jordan) from where you can visit Wadi Rum and Petra (2-3/days). From Petra, by road north to Amman for road or air transfer to Jerusalem (if by road) or Tel Aviv (by air) to visit in Israel. Jerasalem alone needs at least 3-4/days. Alternately, from Petra you can return south to Aqaba and enter Israel at Eilat and work your way north (by road or air) to JER or TLV.

There are options, but beats me how you can coordinate all without some pre-planning of contacts in each country that would provide transport to/from let alone room/board wherever you overnight.

Then, if you're a backpacker-type, anything is possible. Though don't believe 12/days is sufficient to get it all done.

Good luck.
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 08:54 PM
Original Poster

Sandi... besides the "Duh" thanks very much for the response. This is the type of info I needed. I am the backpacker-type and like a sense of adventure. Arranged 2 Night Htl.. Cairo. Any Tour company you recommend for 2 day Cairo?
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 08:58 PM
Original Poster

Yes ... March 16th 2009
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 06:27 AM

If you haven't yet, pick up copy of Rough Guide/Egypt. Great background/history, that everyone including us were carrying...but also info more geared to travelers as yourself wishing to use public transport thru Egypt, Sinai, ferries, buses, etc. Believe there were also sections in the back re Jordan and maybe Israel.

Many hotels in Cairo can arrange touring around town, or you can simply arrange a taxi driver, agree on price ahead of time, to visit Giza for Pyramids, Sphinx, then maybe out to Saqqara & Memphis. Next day you can pop into the Museum on your own and in the afternoon visit Old and Coptic Cairo and the Khan el Khalili Bazaar.

Your feet come in handy or hail taxis. Traffic in Cairo is a horror, few follow rules and can be dangerous crossing, but if you find an old person crossing anywhere, stay close and you'll make it in one piece. If they've been around long enough to get old, they know how to get from PointA-B.

For a Nile Cruise, you can use a local tour operator, but realize there are different levels/quality of boats for accommodations and food safety. Doesn't mean less expensive won't be good, but something to consider. Always use bottled water for drinking and brushing teeth and no shower water in your mouth. Be sure to pack tummy meds, or if need once in-country there is Antinal which is locally purchased.

Believe this Rough Guide has names of local Egyptian tour operators and maybe even some Jordan. If not get a Jordan book and one for Israel, so you can at least in the few days you have coordinate contacts ahead of time.

Again, good luck!
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

Sandi .. thanks again for quality info. Will be stay at Hotel Longchamps to start. Will look for a copy of the book you recommended before I leave. Will post a Trip Report along the way ...