Egypt Itinerary Comments

Jun 15th, 2005, 11:47 AM
Original Poster

Egypt Itinerary Comments

We have completed our planning for our Nov. trip, but have not yet made the final booking. The friends we were planning to travel with are having second thoughts on the safety issue. I have tried to reassure them, but my husband and I are going with or without them!
We would appreciate any comments on our itinerary and/or choice of hotels. This is a 14 day trip, starting with 2 days in Cairo, staying at the Le Meredian Pyramids hotel, and touring both the city and the pyramids. Then on to Luxor by train (yes, we read the comments, but consider this to be an adventure!), and a 4 night cruise to Aswan.
We will fly to Abu Simble, then fly back to Cairo (Nile Hilton or Cairo Sheraton) for a day at leisure. Not sure what we will do that day. The next day will be spent traveling to Alexandria and touring there, staying overnight, and having most of the next day at leisure before returning to Cairo. Then we embark on a 2 day desert trip, staying at an Baharya oasis hotel one night and "sleeping under the stars" for the second night. Then return to Cairo for our last night.
We will be booking a private guided tour; we have never done that before but realize that it might be more efficient for Egypt. We will be flying from Boston with a short layover in Paris outbound and will stop a few days there on the return trip.
Looking for suggestions for our 2 at leisure days, and any hotel comments. Are 2 days in Alexandria too much? Any other suggestions appreciated.
Jun 15th, 2005, 03:30 PM

Having been in Egypt recently, if I remember correctly, Le Meridien is out in Giza--out from the center of Cairo, complete with horrendous traffic. You might want to consider one of the hotels on the Corniche, in the center of Cairo on the Nile. It is easier going out of town to see the pyramids than coming in to Cairo to sight see. Just a thought.
Jun 20th, 2005, 11:05 AM

I've taken the train from Cairo to Luxor and back again and loved it. Don't know what the other comment were. I've done 2nd class and first class. 2nd class has more Egyptian families if you want to be with the people. First class has a lot of businessmen. The toilets are bad, however. But the time passed quickly. I've stayed at the Cairo Sheraton and it was lovely.

Search this Thread