Egypt in September: Sharm or Dahab

Jul 28th, 2004, 06:49 AM
gustavomeirelles

Egypt in September: Sharm or Dahab

We will be there for 4 nights in September (me and my wife).
We want a nice hotel, to relax, to snorkel and a check dive.
Sharm or Dahab?
Thanks
Gustavo

Jul 30th, 2004, 02:55 AM

Although I live in Egypt, I've never been to either of those places - but I know a lot of people who have. The Red Sea is supposed to be VERY nice for diving enthusiasts, and Sharm is supposed to be especially nice. Everyone I know recommends the Movenpick Hotel, although Marriott recently opened a new resort called The Golden Renaissance, which is where we are going in November.
Jul 30th, 2004, 05:20 AM

I stayed at that Marriott property in April, just three months after it opened. At that time they were still working out the bugs with the staff, but the fascilit is first rate. The food is excellent, they have their own diving jetty with scuba rental, four or five pools, three or four bars, ect. The only drawback here is that it is not in town. If you don't want to eat on site (which by Egyptian standards is expensive) you have to take a cab in to Na'ama Bay.
I did scuba for the first time in Ras Mohamed, and I liked it so much that I just finished certification and will be returning in October.
I've not been to Dahab, but from speaking to those who have it's not as resort oriented, geared more toward backbackers and the international version of Jimmy Buffet fans.
The diving is supposed to be quite good, and is the location of the Blue Hole (which claims one or two divers a year).
Try this link for details: http://www.goredsea.com/EN_diving.aspx

Jul 30th, 2004, 02:02 PM

Dahab is indeed not (yet) as resort oriented. On the other hand, it's much more typical than Sharm's Naama Bay and the diving/snorkeling is supposed to be the best. I've only been there on a daytrip and liked it very much.

Search this Thread