Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Egypt in September or October? (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/egypt-in-september-or-october-463754/)

JC01 Jul 31st, 2004 04:41 AM

Egypt in September or October?

We are planning to travel to Egypt for three weeks but have not been able to decide whether to travel in September or October. We understand that the south can be really hot but is it a lot hotter in September than in October? Is there a big difference in the temperatures? Also, I have scanned through the website regarding travel etc during Ramadan, which was one of our concerns. Thanks to the various postings on this website I am now confident that travel should not be a problem this time of the year. Only the temperature! We would like to enjoy our stay and make the most of the sites so your advice on this would be really appreciated. Many thanks !

JC01 Jul 31st, 2004 04:46 AM

Quick clarification regardin gmy question: Is it too hot to travel in Aswan and Luxor in September? Thank you!

sandi Aug 1st, 2004 04:54 AM

There are lots of posts re the weather in Egypt, especially for September and October. Do a search on this board you will will find various threads to that effect.

The "heat is on" in Luxor, Aswan and Abu Simbel most all the time, being close to 90 - 100 degrees. However, touring is done early in the morning - starting 6am in Luxor to see the Valley of the Kings & Queens; you'll be back on your boat (assume you're considering a Nile cruise) by 9:30-10am. Then you go out again late afternon around 4pm for touring Luxor and Karnak Temples.

Likewise, most people do the Abu Simbel tour in the morning and are back at their boat or hotel before Noon.

Realize though that it is Dry Heat - which I'm sure you've heard before, but hot is hot, but not so hot that you should eliminate these stops on a trip to Egypt. There is way too much a visitor would miss if the heat were the issue. Cairo will be cooler, but not by much. You have to remember to have bottled water with you at all times, wear a hat to protect from the sun, comfortable clothing and you should be fine.

Whether in Cairo or on the Nile Cruise, the evenings temps, especially along the Nile do drop markedly at night, as much as 30-degrees that you often need a light jacket, sweather or shawl.

As to travel during Ramadan - no issue as tourist sites are all open. The only recommendation is not to eat in front of those observing the fast. But this doesn't necessarily include your boat crew, as they have to serve meals to guests, and your guide and driver have to do their jobs. While you eat, the guide and driver will not be with you so no afront here. Most all shops will be open and even vendors selling souvenirs as sites will be doing business.

Personally I would schedule the trip for October (mid-Oct running into November, if possible) rather than September, which is too close to the August (summer heat). But if heat is still a major concern, consider the months of February or March, somewhat cooler, though during this time there are possibilities of sand storms. And recent visitors actually mentioned that some days were rather cool.

We felt late October was perfect considering our options.

MyriamC Aug 1st, 2004 06:08 AM

Me, too, I would travel in October, as late as possible. I haven't traveled during Ramadan but since Egypt lives on tourism I don't think tourists will experience any disadvantages.

masrawy Aug 1st, 2004 10:29 PM

Egypt is wonderful in September and October, not too much difference in the weather, and Ramadan will be an exciting experience to u.

JC01 Aug 2nd, 2004 12:09 AM

Thank you all for your prompt replies! They are very helpful! regards, JC01

MyriamC Aug 2nd, 2004 02:34 PM

Re temperatures: take a look at the history for Sharm for the past years at http://www.weatheronline.co.uk

Marsh Aug 8th, 2004 07:31 PM

My husband and I traveled to Egypt in November of last year and the weather was great. It was hot at times but bearable. As to travel during Ramadan, I had always told myself not to schedule a trip during that time. But as it happened we were there during Ramadan. Although we had some interesting experiences because of it. there were disappointments because a lot of places in Cairo closed early. I had hoped that we could do more sightseeing on our own, but the early closing times nearly made it impossible.

Akiwi Aug 21st, 2004 10:02 PM

We were in Cairo during Ramadan last year. It would not be my first choice of time (my husband was on business).
The big tours operated, eg to the Pyramids and the Citadel, but smaller ones were disrupted and the museum closed early every day.

Much of the Old Cairo tour sights closed early and I could only see the Coptic Church there. Mosques were closed early afternoon.

And the Cairo traffic was dreadful in the afternoon as everyone tried to get home early to break fast.

OTOH, it was a fascinating experience to see the way Ramadan was celebrated every evening from sunset onwards.

Yes, I agree with the writer who said one must be sensitive about eating or drinking in front of fasters.