Egypt in Ramadan??

Nov 9th, 2000, 06:29 PM
sara

Egypt in Ramadan??

HI, I have read alot about Egypt and I am really keen to visit in December. Yet, I have some reservation as it is the fasting month then. Would it be better for me to wait for my next holidays in Easter to visit instead?? My second option would be to visit Spain and Morocco.
Please advise.

Thanks

Nov 10th, 2000, 02:52 AM
x

Sara
Someone did ask the same question not a long ago so do research on this board under Ramadan
Morocco is also Islamic country. But Ramadan has nothing to do with traveling. Just be respectful. There is much more to Ramadan than just fasting. Please read about it and educate yourself on this wonderful tradition. Read about it and go. You are going to be in the fascinating destination. However, it is kind of late to start making reservations for Egypt or Morocco this December, isn't?

Nov 10th, 2000, 06:07 PM
Alice

Sara, I went during Ramadan last December and I would not choose to go to Egypt again during this holiday. The folks are under a lot of stress with lack of food and water and it does influence to some degree their attitude towards foreigners. With the political situation like it is now, this added stress could escalate certain situations.

I did enjoy many late evenings out wandering the streets and watching families go about their "everyday" activities that they would normally do during the day but waited until the breaking of the fast. Many shops are closed during the day or are opened only sporatically. Firecrackers are going off 24 hours a day so it's impossible to tell if someone is shooting at you (just joking). I thought at first they were the cars backfiring until someone told me it is the children shooting off their firecrackers.

If you do chose to go this December, just be discreet in you consumption of food and water during the day. I tried to be very careful and furtively take sips of water when around Muslims which is pretty much everyone.

Search this Thread