Search

Egypt in June or July?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22nd, 1999, 10:42 AM
Melissa

Egypt in June or July?

My fiance and I are planning our honeymoon for Egypt. We would be going in late June or the first two weeks of July. We currently live in Bermuda, where the humidity is the same or higher than the temp, making it "feel" much hotter. Is the heat unbearable or does the dryness make it "feel" somewhat cooler? We will be travelling as far south as Abu Simbel and may go diving in the Red Sea. What are the range of temps for late June/early July and what can I expect? What does 95-100 "feel" like in a drier climate? We could choose another destination for our honeymoon and travel here at a later date and cooler season if necessary.

Old Nov 22nd, 1999, 02:23 PM
Tarek

Hi, <BR>I am from Cairo, but currently living in Washington, DC. <BR>The average temperature in Cairo in June-July is aboout 35C (95F, I think). It can get a little humid, but I think that it usually feels more comfortable than the summer here, in DC (which is less humid than Bermuda). Of course, there are sometimes heat waves during which the temperature goes above 40C, but it also gets really dry. <BR>On the other hand, in the South (where Luxor and Asswan are), the average temperature is about 42C (105F), but it is extremely dry, and the temperature drops considerably in the evening. <BR>Moreover, if you go to Alexandria in the summer, you can take advantadge of its nicest beaches, at the Montaza gardens (which used to be the summer residence of the Royal family until the country became a Republic). I think that you need to pay to get in, or to have passes (that you can get if you stay in one of the 2 hotels inside, or at the Sheraton righ outside). These beaches are probably the only ones within the city where a woman would have no trouble wearing a swimsuit without any problem. The nicest of these beaches is called Aida, and it is located right at the entrance, separated from the public beach by a wall. <BR>As for the Red Sea area, it gets hot, but there is always a lot of wind on the beach, which tends to cool things down. As for the water temperature, it is perfect. The only disadvantadge of diving in the summer is that you are less likely to see bigger fish, such as sharks, manta rays, etc..., bt if you're lucky enough, there is a chance you'll have such encounters. <BR>Have a blast!

Old Nov 28th, 1999, 02:45 PM
Martha

Hi, <BR>I live in a climate that is very hot and humid in the summers and having traveled to Egypt in July I can tell you it is quite a different feeling to be in a dry climate. After an hour or so you will notice that there is no sweat on your face, but lots of salt! Just drink tons of water and I wouldn't suggest a 4 day felucca trip at that time of year. You must go snorkelling/diving in the Red Sea- we went at Hurghada and it was amazing. Plan to spend a few days in Luxor-if you have the money you might want to fly in a balloon over the Valley of the Kings. <BR>

Old May 7th, 2008, 09:59 AM
dmlove

I am resurrecting this very old thread because I have a similar question. We are thinking of traveling to Egypt in mid-to-late August. The time when we would go is dictated by the fact that our son and his girlfriend (who now live in Kampala, Uganda) will be there then, preparatory to returning to the United States. If we go, we would like to go to Cairo, Alexandria, Luxor and Abu Simbel, as well as Sharm-El-Sheikh (some divers in the group).

I don't mind heat, but I could live without humidity (last week in Scottsdale, it was 103 degrees -- no problem in the shade). That said, I've been in NY, Charleston and DC in the summer and while it isn't that pleasant, I managed to survive and have a good trip each time. We've also been in Morocco in June (days at the pool, mornings and late afternoon/eveings sightseeing).

So my question is, am I out of my mind for even considering going to Egypt in August?

Old May 7th, 2008, 10:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It sounds as if you can tolerate high temperatures and you have a good reason to go at that time, so it's not so crazy.

But remember that you will be standing outside in the sun much of your day, so it's not like being where you go froom air conditioned car to air conditioned hotel/museum/etc.
Old May 7th, 2008, 08:30 PM

I was in Cairo in August, living in NYC at the time, so no stranger to hot summers. In Cairo in August!
I felt like I was in an oven and could not get out. I WAS DYING. I would steer clear in summer.

I actually traveled all over the country on that trip and only found relief from the sun in the evenings or in airconditioning.

Just my experience perhaps june is not so bad
Old May 7th, 2008, 08:38 PM

DM just see now that you brought up thread. I have been in Turkey in August and
did not experience the blasting heat Egypt offers at that time.

If you do go consider going to www.coolibar.com and buying a sun umbrella. I use them here in Hawaii and find them great relief.

Old May 8th, 2008, 12:34 AM

June is better.