Egypt highlights trip - planning

Old Jun 17th, 2008, 10:31 AM
dmlove

Egypt highlights trip - planning

We will be in Egypt, arriving Cairo August 18th mid-day. We will be departing Sharm El Sheikh mid-day on August 29th. Please critique our itinerary (P.S. we'd love to have longer, but our dates are fixed)...

Day 1: Arrive Cairo
Day 2: Cairo
Day 3: Cairo
Day 4: Day trip to Alexandria
Day 5: Fly to Aswan - tour Aswan
Day 6: Fly to Abu Simbel/tour Abu Simbel/fly to Luxor
Day 7: Tour Luxor
Day 8: Tour Luxor (fly as late as possible to Sharm El Sheikh)
Days 9 and 10: Sharm El Sheikh - divers will do a 2-day liveaboard diving trip; others will stay at the beach
Day 11 Sharm El Sheikh (Mt. Sinai/beach)
Day 12: Sharm El Sheikh/fly through Cairo to London

Are there any glaring errors and/or suggestions for jiggering the itinerary? We will likely hire day tour-guides in some of these places (we will plan in advance).

Any and all advice is welcome. We've traveled many places, but never to someplace where the planning is as seemingly difficult as Egypt! (We were in Morocco years ago, and hired official guides each day, especially for the medinas, but generally speaking, we are independent travelers, so I'd like opinions on that, too --- which parts of this trip "require" a tour guide, and which do not?).

Thanks in advance.

Old Jun 17th, 2008, 10:49 AM
dmlove

Oh, I should add that we will be a party of 5 or 6 people (parents and 20-something kids and their friends)

Old Jun 18th, 2008, 05:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi dmlove,

I think you better fly from Cairo to Abu Simbel, then to Aswan.

You don't have to fly to Luxor, it is only 3 hours by train or by road from Aswan, the flight takes shorter time (about 30 minutes) but driving to and from airport, check in an hour before flight,waiting for luggage after landing, etc. will make it take longer time.

There are trains at 18.00 , 20.00 and 21.00

There are no direct flights from Luxor to Sharm on Monday, all flights will be via Cairo, there is one at 18.40, then you catch another one at 21.05 to be in Sharm at 22.05.

cheers.
Old Jun 18th, 2008, 08:06 AM
dmlove

eg, thanks for the tips about the flights and driving/train between Aswan and Luxor. Are there flights from Aswan to Sharm, or are we just stuck flying Luxor-Cairo-Sharm?

Old Jun 18th, 2008, 08:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unfortunately,there are no direct flights from Aswan to Sharm,so again it has to be via Cairo,i.e Aswan-Cairo-Sharm.
Old Jun 19th, 2008, 08:40 AM
dmlove

Good to know, thanks.