Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Egypt -- Guides Can No Longer Meet Airside of Immigration (T1, T3)

Feb 8th, 2010, 07:04 AM
Original Poster

As of this morning apparently tour guides and operators are not allowed to pass through Immigration to meet guests (terminals 1 and 3). Previously this was permitted and the guides often would obtain the visas, saving the guests time to do so.

Visa upon arrival has not changed; but queues at the window may be a bit longer.
Feb 8th, 2010, 11:23 AM

This seems to be changing daily. I had to stop offering Meet and Assist as my guys are allowed back in there about 20% of the time. It's a gamble and we won't bother with Meet and Assists anymore. It is too chancy and I hate to disappoint customers that are waiting for a Meet and Assist that won't arrive because the airport or government or someone else decided to input a new regulation this morning. AAAAARRRRRUUUUUUGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!
Feb 8th, 2010, 12:27 PM

Can the Meet & Assist folks still meet up with arriving travellers past immigration - in the luggage area? Or do they have to be outside the customs check?

I know my situation was different, but I always appreciated them helping us to "speed thru" the customs check....especially when we were arriving with 10 or 12 boxes/suitcases!
Feb 8th, 2010, 03:23 PM
P_M

Well that stinks. It was so handy to have my guy there to greet me and to get my visa while I stood in line for passport control. Oh well, if/when I return to Egypt at least I'll know how it all works.
Feb 8th, 2010, 03:53 PM

Thanks for the info!