Egypt Free Shops

Mar 25th, 2005, 09:45 PM
Original Poster

Egypt Free Shops

We are going to Cairo (3 nights Le Meridien Le Pyramids), Luxor (Al Moudira 3 nights) and Sharm el Sheikh (Hyatt Regency 8 nights) next week and really looking forward to it. I have read, however, that wine is likely to be expensive at hotels in Egypt so it would a good idea to take some with us. As I understand it we would be allowed to take in 1 litre each, but the Lonely Planet guide states that another 3 litres of alcohol can be bought at one of the special Egypt Free shops within 24 hours of arrival. Are these shops at the airport ? We will be arriving at Cairo initially.

I've found this site really useful for planning what to see and do whilst we are away, but just wonder if anyone could help with the small detail above.

Thanks
Mar 26th, 2005, 12:20 AM

There is one of these shops in Sharm.I do not seem to remember seeing one at hte airport, but the may well be one.
Rich,
Photos of our trip to Egypt.
http://www.franceinfocus.net
Mar 26th, 2005, 04:20 AM
rfb

As you deplane in Cairo you will pass the duty free shop where you can purchase alcohol. This is before you come to passport control. It's pretty hard to miss. I don't recall that they have wine but they may. The biggest sellers seem to be beer and hard liquor.

Egyptian wine is far from the best but some is drinkable, but not the type you'd want to buy to bring home; imports are pretty costly at the restaurants that serve them but these are mostly hotel restaurants any way where wine is always marked up a lot. I do not remember it being too much more outrageous than at hotels in US.

Search this Thread