Egypt for New Years eve...

Jun 19th, 1999, 04:59 PM
Jake

Egypt for New Years eve...

I'll be in Cairo for about a week at the end of the year. I know I'll see the pyramids etc... Anyone have any suggestions for other good things to do?

Sep 1st, 1999, 02:44 PM
Tarek

Try and attend the concert by the pyramids on New Year's eve.
Other than that, do not miss Old Cairo, including Khan El Khalili (the bazar), Islamic an dCoptic Cairo, the Citadel...
This time of year will also coincide with the Muslim holy month of Ramadan. The Islamic heart of the city (around Al Hussein mosque) gets extremely active at night. It is the occasion to see the most exotic side of Cairo (particularly on the night of Ramadan 27th, the holiest night of the year), if you do not fear huge crowds. Unfortunatley, this is also the time of year when you see the most beggars in that area, but trhat should not spoil the amazing experience.
Try also to watch a whirling dervishes show and to catch the light and sound show by the Pyramids.
If you are tired of the crowd and the noise, take a felucca ride on the Nile. The peacefulness offers a striking contrast with the rest of the city.
Big and luxurious dinner boats (Nile Maxim, Nole Pharaoh...) can be a little tacky, but you'd enjoy a nice meal and a belly dancing show.
Try also to visit Dr Ragab's Village. It is a historic theme Park where actors portray the every day life a the time of the Pharaohs. It can be considered a little bit cheesy, but it is actually pretty good and educational.
Finally, the city is full of nice restaurants and interesting shopping in the quieter areas outside of the main touristy areas. Just walk around in Zamalek, Mohandessin, Maadi, or even in the Korba area, in Heliopolis.
For good and really cheap Egyptian food, go to Felfela (ask your hotel receptionist for directions), and for a little more expensive food (including the best grilled chicken you'll ever eat), go to Andrea's, by the Pyramids.

Search this Thread