Egypt: Film Speed

Dec 2nd, 2003, 12:53 AM
Original Poster

Egypt: Film Speed

What type of film do you suggest is needed for photographs in Egypt? My hunch is 200 as taking indoor photos in not usually an option?

Also, how many rolls of film did you use on the standard 2 week tour?
Dec 2nd, 2003, 05:16 AM
sandi

Surprisingly, I only use 200ASA, and many of my indoor shots (tombs) came out beautifully, but some not so great. If I was able to get away with using the flash, all was fine, if no flash they were a bit dull.

Interestingly, my friend went into a tomb I didn't (one had to climb "down" a ladder deep into a tomb, not for me) - but they put on powerful lights once she was inside, and her photos were outstanding.

Photos (with flash) taken in the Museum were fine. And in mosques, some with flash again were greak, without were a bit dull. Do know that you "cannot" take photos in the Mummy Room - buy postcards.

See what other posters might have to say on this subject.

As to the number of rolls of film - I always take about 20-25 rolls; combination of 36exp and 24exp. Using the 36s at beginning of trip, and 24s towards the end. In total, I've never taken more than 15 rolls on any trip regardless where I've traveled. But consider that I travel with another and so between both of us we have about 25-30 rolls combined. That said, still there are about 2/3rds that are great, the others so-so.

But don't forget extra batteries and be sure to have a camera bag, even a plastic bag in case you run into a sand storm and do clean your camera as best possible at the end of every day.

Enjoy your trip.

See what other input you might get on this

Dec 2nd, 2003, 05:55 AM

It has been a while since I've used a "film" camera since I've made the switch to digital. I would go with the 100asa for the outdoor shots and equipped your camera with a good flash for the indoor shots while using the 100asa. Less grainy and I think much nicer picture and colour quality than the 200 or 400asa.

If you're interested in a digital camera - here's a great web site with lots of review: http://www.dpreview.com/

Search this Thread