Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > Egypt Experts: Books or Films to gear up for Egypt in September?

Egypt Experts: Books or Films to gear up for Egypt in September?

Mar 8th, 2005, 11:57 AM
Original Poster

Egypt Experts: Books or Films to gear up for Egypt in September?

Hello Egypt pros. Well, next friday our deposit is in and we are then, as every die- hard traveller knows, in "count down" mode. I have my travel guides but what about films/books/DVD's etc that got your juices flowing for sunny Egypt. Fiction/non-fiction it matters not.
Mar 8th, 2005, 12:16 PM

Part of "The Spy Who Loved Me" is filmed in Cairo. I could be wrong about the title -- I get all but the first three James Bond movies confused.

The private residence in the movie is the Gayer-Anderson house. The owner was a Brit who lived in Cairo. He bought 2 houses (one from the 16th century & the other from the 17th century), joined them together, put wonderful Islamic art & furnishings in it & made the most exquisite home. My driver got completely lost imagining living in the place and he had been there many times.

Another film is "Khartoum" which is a completely one sided view of the Brits trying to reconquer Khartoum in the 1800's. It's embarrassing to watch but does teach you about an important part of Egypt/Sudan history. It's one of the those 1950's or 60's color epics with Charleston Heston & Lawrence Olivier in dark shoe polish playing an Arabic leader.

There's "The English Patient" which was not filmed in Egypt, I believe, but is set in Egypt. The true cave with the swimmers is located in Eastern Egypt.

Have fun!
Mar 8th, 2005, 12:54 PM

Try the "Palace Walk" Trilogy by Naguib Mahfouz. The three books are called Palace Walk, Palace of Desire and Sugar Street. They tell the story of a family living in Cairo in the early 20th Century. I enjoyed all three novels and learnt much about what life must have ben like for women in traditional egyptian families.
Mar 8th, 2005, 04:55 PM

Ruthie C - I tried to read Palace Walk before the trip but couldn't get into it. Read it on the plane home (15 hours of flight) I found it more interesting after I could visualize what I was reading about. Have always been that way. So, Thyra, if you have problems reading something before you go, try again upon your return.
Mar 8th, 2005, 05:00 PM
Original Poster

Thank you both, good advice..Phantom of the Opera was like that for me.. so much easier to read after having been to the Paris Opera house.. for the record, my husband will be thrilled when I express a desire to watch a James Bond Film! Any more??
Mar 9th, 2005, 10:20 AM
bbq

For the long flight over to Egypt I'd also consider purchasing Traveling Through Egypt: From 450 B.C. to the Twentieth-Century by Deborah Manley. It's selling for just under $20 on amazon. A great collection of writings on Egypt by many renowned writers. Check out this review on Egypt's Al-Ahram Weekly. The write-up itself will get your juices flowing!

http://weekly.ahram.org.eg/2005/731/tr3.htm

- Michael

Search this Thread