Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   EGYPT,EGYPT,EGYPT (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/egypt-egypt-egypt-15159/)

Goran Kozuvarov Jun 23rd, 1997 09:36 PM

EGYPT,EGYPT,EGYPT

Hi,there...my cousins and i are planning to take
a trip to Yugoslavia next summer ('98) and we
decided to spend two weeks in Egypt first. I realize
it's a little early to be asking for any advice but
i'm just a littttttttle excited!
I am hoping someone outthere can help me,with
how we can get the most out of our 2 week stay,
we don't want to miss Cairo and especially the
Pyramids.I understand it's impossible to see
everything in Egypt in 2 weeks but if somebody
can help us with the 'not to miss sights and basically get the most out of our trip.And even if
are any warnings...to look out for. Please it would
be greatly appreciated.Thankyou for taking time
to read my topic.See ya . Goran

Simrin Jun 24th, 1997 08:24 AM

Cairo-- see the Cairo Museum, Islamic Cairo (especially the Muhammad Ali palace and mosque), Khan-al-Khalili marketplace, and the Giza pyramids.

Luxor-- see the Valley of the Kings and Queens and Luxor temple

Karnak-- see the temples

Abu Simbel-- definitely a "must see"

Tips:
be sure to keep plenty of one pound notes on hand for tipping; drink bottled water only; if you get accosted by local people at the sites and you don't want to talk to them just ignore them (trying to stop them verbally only makes it worse); dress modestly when going into mosques; and take a roll of toilet paper in your bag when you go out exploring as many of the public restrooms there don't have any. Have fun!

Gene Kasprzyk Jul 9th, 1997 08:31 PM

Take the overnight train from Cairo to Aswan. Skip the High Dam but the granite quarries are O.K. Philae is a must as well. Do Abu Simbel even if you think the cost is prohibitive it is worth the $$. Take a Nile steamer north for a rrelaxing view of Upper Egypt. Spend 2-3 days in Luxor and don't miss the Luxor Museum, Nefertari's tomb, and of course the Valley of the Kings. While in Aswan have a sunset drink on the Terrace of the Old Cataract Hotel.

Have a great time.

Paula Jul 13th, 1997 03:36 AM

It is very hard to miss the pyramids and Cairo! (A joke!) The pyramids dominate the skyline of Cairo - they are as tall as a 14 story building and Cairo has 17 million people increasing at 1 million every nine months. Try to spend three days at least in Cairo - the traffic is horrendous as is the dust. Spend three days in Luxor and a couple in Aswan. The extra days are necessary for the travel from point to point - nothing is very timely! Be forewarned that the accepted practice is to tip frequently! DON'T DRINK the water, eat fresh fruits or vegetables, and be careful of any food that is not in a restaurant or hotel. MUMMY TUMMY is no FUN and can be VERY Disabling! I have many firends in Egypt who would help you plan your trip. Just e-mail me! [email protected]

jay polansky Aug 24th, 1997 06:53 PM