Egypt during Ramadan

Nov 17th, 2000, 06:34 PM
Kayla

Egypt during Ramadan

I will be travelling in Egypt during Ramadan. Will I be able to get food in the daytime? Are things open during regular hours? I understand people tend to be grumpier from fasting.

Nov 30th, 2000, 02:34 PM
Diane

Kayla,

I just returned from Egypt where Ramadan began Monday. Yes, you'll be able to get food mid-day. Selections may be somewhat limited compared with other times of the year, but it's certainly adequate. Many (but not all) stores close until evening. I noticed no 'grumpiness' and was thrilled to see the traffic in Cairo vanish at 5PM (so people could be at home to eat).

Dec 1st, 2000, 08:32 PM
Alice

Hi Kayla,
Just don't expect to have too many taxi's available around 5 in the evening, because the drivers are rushing home to "bread the fast". The streets of Cairo turn into one festive event with many of the merchants setting out tables on the side walks to feed the less fortunate. And did I mention that what sounds like constant backfire from cars (no, I never thought it was gun fire!) is, in fact, the children setting off firecrackers in celebration of Ramadan? You will hear them at all times of the day and night.

Have a wonderful trip...Alice

Search this Thread