Egypt during Ramadan

Aug 30th, 2000, 12:38 PM
magdalena archibold

Egypt during Ramadan

Has anyone ever travel to Egypt during Ramadan? There are cruise liners that travel and have special rate weeks. Real bargins! However,one of the weeks is during Ramadan. It is not consider an official holiday, but I would like to get an idea of how badly a vacation would be disrupted. This cruise lands in Luxor/Aswan and then travel down the nile, and flys back to london. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Aug 30th, 2000, 03:15 PM
Alice

I traveled in Egypt during Ramadan last December and I would not choose that particular time to go again. Bsiness hours are crazy. A shop may open for a couple of hours during the day and then close and reopen later. I don't know if fasting was the problem but the wait staff on the cruise was a bit surly and of course it is understandable after going all day with no food and especially no water. If there was just one special period of time that I could go, then I wouldn't let Ramadan stand in my way. The evenings were really fun especially in the streets as everyone celebrated 'breaking the fast'. I have some notes compiled (tips, info, etc.) on traveling in Egypt. If you would like a copy, email me at the above address. BTW who is this cruise with? I've talked to so many travellers lately that I'm getting the bug big time to go back. Maybe this year for the real "millennium'?!? And, heck, if the price was right, I would go during Ramadan again.

Sep 1st, 2000, 04:11 AM
Maggie

I would love to get some tips from your Egytian trip. I would be travelling the last week of November. This would be the first time I would be travelling in this part of the world.

Sep 1st, 2000, 03:41 PM
mcfelf

I spent three weeks in Fez, Morocco during Ramadan. Unfortunately, my husband had a heart attack, and I was stuck in Fez. Nothing is opened during the day in an Islamic country. The only food that is available is at a hotel, or on a cruise ship, or in a "Hospital". Yes, people are cranky, as it is very difficult to fast from food and water from sun-up to sun-down. All those who fast have horrible bad breath. If you will be travelling during the warm weather season, I would definitely say, "Think Twice".

Search this Thread