EGYPT During Ramadan

Oct 20th, 1997, 08:54 AM
Gene Kasprzyk

EGYPT During Ramadan

It appears that my entire two weeks in Egypt will be during Ramadan. I will be doing the usual tourist thing. How will this affect my trip?

Oct 21st, 1997, 04:51 PM
Simrin

Hi again, Gene! (I responded to your post on the LP page). You might not be let into mosques during this time. By the way, this also holds true for Israel in case anyone out there is planning to go there during Ramadan also. The Dome of the Rock and Al-Aqsa mosque will more than likely be closed to tourists.

Oct 24th, 1997, 09:20 PM
channah

Hi, Gene. Lived in Egypt during Gulf War--3 Ramadans. Most places are closed during day. Moslems fast all day, and stay up all night eating, etc. It's a holy time, and Egyptians of other religions, e.g., Coptic and Jewish, respect the Moslem practices. Traveling is also difficult; most Moslems are either making pilgrammages to Mecca or visiting family. Very difficult to get a bus, plane or train. Actually, it is just not a great time to visit--Ramadan lasts for one month, and it can be very tiring for the average Egyptian worker. If you are lucky, however, and become friendly with an Egyptian (which isn't hard to do--they are friendly and have never met a stranger), you can enjoy the holiday: breaking the fast at sundown, and the nightly celebrations. Most of the hotels provide banquets each evening, and the food is wonderful! I would encourage you to keep in mind the importance of dressing conservatively, and to plan on spending alot of time in the city you fly into. If it's Cairo, try getting a taxi into Maadi, which is where most westerners live. If was an oasis, formerly owned by a Shiek, and has beautiful gardens. Go to Road Nine, and ask to eat at the Mermaid, a great pizza joint. Let the locals know that you are looking for the food of Egypt--they'll see that you get plenty of same! Heliopolis is great for nightlife. It's near the airport; Le Meridien is an outstanding hotel with disco, and top notch restaurants. Cairo will be warm, but visiting the Pyramids and Egyptian Museum should not be a problem. Take a taxi, and have the taxi wait 'til you are ready to leave. Determine the price before you leave, and have the hotel's concierge help you with same. Take a ride night trip on one of the Nile Cruise boats; great food and authentic music and dance--the hotel will help with this as well. Try to visit the Khan al Khalili; ancient marketplace, called souk, with a wonderful restaurant--great place to buy gifts, but bargain, bargain, bargain! Enjoy your trip; but don't be surprised if Luxor and the Valley of the Kings doesn't happen.

Oct 24th, 1997, 10:11 PM
SUE HAMBY

IN LOOKING OVER SOME INFORMATION THAT I HAD (ISRAEL GUIDE) BY STEPHANIE GOLD, I SAW THAT RAMADAN WAS IN JANUARY 1997. GENE, SINCE YOU MENTIONED THAT YOUR TWO WEEKS IN EGYPT WILL BE DURING RAMADAN, DO YOU MIND TELLING ME WHEN THAT WILL BE. I WILL BE GOING TO ISRAEL AND EGYPT NOVEMBER 14 AND WOULD LIKE TO KNOW AS I PLAN TO TAKE A NILE CRUISE. WOULD APPRECIATE ANY INFORMATION. ALSO DOES ANYONE KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THE OVERNIGHT TRAIN FROM LUXOR TO CAIRO. I HAD PLANNED TO FLY BACK TO CAIRO BUT SOMEONE SUGGESTED OVERNIGHT TRAIN. ANY SUGGESTIONS. APPRECIATE THE INFORMATION.

Search this Thread