Egypt Domestic Flights, Airports Info

Sep 1st, 2004, 07:05 AM
Original Poster

Egypt Domestic Flights, Airports Info

Hello,
Most of the posters here seem to have been part of a tour group.
I'm doing this on my own. The only thing that really worries me is the reliability of the domestic egypt air flights and the procedures of checking in at airports at cairo, luxor and aswan.

Does anybody have any experience with this?

Are signs/flight numbers/baggage carousel/messages/ info in english or only in arabic?

Typically, how soon before a flight are u expected to check in?

Do the airline staff for domestic flights at the airport usually speak english?

Thanks Much.
Sep 1st, 2004, 07:25 AM

Not just at airports, but throughout much of Egypt where one would expect to find tourists, signs are in English, people speak English and we found them to be universally helpful and pleasant.

Any written material on plane (from sugar packets to emergency info cards) were in both Arabic and English.

Only difference we noted was upon check-in at JFK the line shut down for 20 minutes. Passengers just stood there. When we asked for explanation, we were told it was time for tea break and they would return shortly. I am not kidding. The only difference between this and major US carriers, I think, is that we got an explanation for the delay.
Sep 1st, 2004, 07:34 AM

Cairo airport - domestic section: One of the worst organised airport I have seen. My guide, from A&K, cut in front of other people to secure us seats at the checkin counter so I would hate to be the guy waiting in line. After checkin you go through security control to a small waiting area. NO gate numbers or other flight information. I had to ask an Egypt Air staff who happen to be walking by what my gate number was. He looked at some printout and told me something like gate 8 but non of the gates had any numbers to identify it. I would give this airport at least 3 hours for checkin. This was last December and January.

Aswan - very small airport and not many people. Should be the easiest airport for you.

Luxor - another small airport and very crowded. ONE xray machine for you luggage before checkin, very long line. Very confusing checkin counters. ONE walk through metal detector after checkin, very long line again. You should also give quite a lot of lead time for this airport too.

Again this information was from my trip last December/January and I hope that they have improve everything.
Sep 1st, 2004, 01:16 PM
sandi

We were traveling independently, but did have someone from our local outfitter take us to the airport. Be sure you get to the DOMESTIC terminal (believe it's referred to as the Old Airport terminal).

What I recall - it was a madhouse, with lots of groups heading down to Luxor or Aswan. Those traveling with groups who had a local rep managed to get checked-in rather quickly. We too were checked in fast. It seemed that those independent travelers, as you will be, were the last to be serviced. So I would definitely suggest you get there early. I vaguely remember being told which gate we would be departing from, but we actually waited to hear the announcement and then went to the gate. This was before 9/11, so I don't recall much about Security, but we did go thru magnotometers, were wanded, etc. - a non-event. Though I'd go with Hanuman's comments re current Security procedures.

The actual equipment was clean, the crew were very friendly and efficient, we arrived on time - even had the same plane and crew on return flight (Cairo/AbuSimbel/Aswan). Aswan airport is small, but great and you couldn't get too lost or loose your luggage, all came off in a timely manner. Think Aswan would be an easier airport for returning to Cairo.

The Luxor airport on the otherhand was a mad-house. Lots of people returning to Cairo. Again, we had a rep from our land operator check us in, given boarding passes, but our flight was delayed. Here too Security was pre-9/11, so I'm sure things have changed since. I would give myself more time if returning from Luxor to Cairo.

I think it would be a matter of being more assertive as an independent traveler without a local rep to run interference for you. But you'll be okay, especially since you now know what to expect.

Search this Thread