Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Egypt - arrival safe at night? (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/egypt-arrival-safe-at-night-83204/)

Carol Aug 17th, 2000 08:06 AM

Egypt - arrival safe at night?

We will be arriving at Cairo at 11 p.m. and Luxor at 8:30 p.m. in November. I hear it's not safe to ride in cars at night in Egypt. Should I try to arrange to arrive in the daytime?

mm Aug 18th, 2000 05:47 AM

We arrived in Cairo late at night. However, we were met at the airport by the representative of the local travel agency so we did not have any problems. Are you travelling on your own? If you are, maybe you could arrange with the hotel(s) you're staying at to send over a car to pick you up at the airport. I believe most flights arrive at night so that it's not too hot. I hope this helps.

Crelly Aug 22nd, 2000 08:15 PM

I arrived in Cairo in the wee hours of the morning (1:30 am) by myself and the airport was teaming with life. I had arranged to be picked up by my hotel's shuttle service, but you won't have any problems getting a taxi (20 to 30 pounds to downtown). I have compiled a list of helpful tips on traveling in Egypt (both solo and with a tour group) and would be happy to send them on to you. Let me know. They cover just about everything imaginable. <BR> <BR>Alice <BR> <BR>P.S. It is very safe to travel around Cairo at night. I was getting taxis at all times of the wee hours and never had a problem. Make sure you get a business card from your hotel in case the driver is not sure where your staying. The card will be in Arabic and English. Would you believe I actually gave directions twice to my hotel?

Prue Aug 23rd, 2000 02:45 PM

Alice, We are planning a visit to Cairo next year, primarily to go to the El Alamein War Cemetery at Alexandria. I would be most grateful for a copy of your list.With thanks. Prue

carol Aug 23rd, 2000 03:50 PM

Thanks so much for your replies. I would love a copy of your helpful tips. I think when I heard that it wasn't safe at night, people meant the safety of driving (drivers not using headlights, not stopping for traffic lights, not driving carefully, etc.) rather than the dangers we think of in U.S. cities at night. Thanks.

M&J Aug 23rd, 2000 04:22 PM

Hello Crelly: <BR>please send us a list of you tips and suggestions. <BR>thanks. <BR>If you need some info on Istanbul,we would be glad to share.

crelly Aug 24th, 2000 05:59 PM

To all: I'll get those emails to you. I have a few more things to add and will send those as I finish them. [Carol, got your email. Yours are on the way.] <BR> <BR>It doesn't matter if it's midnight or high noon, those Cairo streets are DANGEROUS to cross. The street that seperates the Nile Hilton and the Nile River is suicidely. I actually got a tourist police to help me cross. I traveled all over downtown Cairo and to the outskirts and counted a total of 3 stoplights!! I have even heard of tourist taking a cab to get to the other side of the road (should be a chicken joke in there somewhere!). Most of the drivers do not use their headlights at night. The city is so well lit that they don't need them! I did watch several police pull over vehicles for this violation but it doesn't seem to have much of an impact on the drivers. <BR> <BR>I'll tell you, Prue, these are the BEST DRIVERS in the world. After a few heart stopping moments, I began to enjoy the "ballet" of it all. And I discovered their secret. They simply allow any vehicle to cut in and out and NEVER get perturbed. Amazing!! And it works. So, just sit forward, grip that seat, and be awed by the ride. This is also the time that I learned the Arabic numerals so I could figure out how much something cost in the stores where the prices are marked. I had a little "cheat" sheet with the numbers on it and would use the license plate to learn the numbers. Worked like a charm and got to be a real game. [I used the back of the business card I got from my motel (always get one and have it handy).] Carol, this would be great for your boys especially during those log jams. <BR> <BR>Beep, beep, Alice

Louise Aug 24th, 2000 06:04 PM

Hello, Alice - we will be going to Egypt in February and would very much appreciate your sending us the list of tips and suggestions. Thank you.

CAS Aug 25th, 2000 06:29 AM

Alice, <BR> <BR>We will be going to Egypt in late January with our three children. I would appreciate your helpful hints. <BR> <BR>CAS

Alice Aug 25th, 2000 07:32 PM

Consider them sent. Am so glad to share my experiences with you. It really does help to have first hand information on what to expect. Ali <BR>

LEANNA Aug 26th, 2000 08:51 AM

Alice Alice...am I toooo late??? May I please also have a copy of your "stuff". I"m off to Egypt in April 2001. Thank you muchly!!!!!

Drelly Aug 26th, 2000 05:58 PM

Not too late at all. In fact I plan to create a post making my notes available but was going to wait until I had them completed. I'm happy to send along what I have written so far and will send everyone "the rest of the story" as I get it completed. I have really had some positive feedback as to the value of what I have written and I am so happy to share my experiences with you. (Must be the teacher in me!) <BR>Feel free to make the request here or at my email address above. Well, got to dash off to Fodors' "Europe" site as I'm planning for Britain and Ireland next summer... Alice

Crelly Aug 26th, 2000 06:01 PM

That's Crelly not Drelly. These ol' eyes... jeez.. <BR>

Lorena Aguilar Aug 28th, 2000 03:35 AM

Please Alice, can I also get a copy from you, I will be going to Egypt on the 28 of September with a group of eight. <BR> <BR>Thanks

Alice Aug 28th, 2000 05:19 PM

Hi, Lorena, Consider them sent. From all the responses I've gotten, fellow travelers are finding them very helpful. <BR>I'm so glad to share my experiences with you. Alice

Jodi Aug 29th, 2000 05:25 PM

I could not agree more with the suggestions that the danger in Cairo is the situation of cars, camels,trucks, wagons etc. all driving like bumper cars @ Coney Island. I went in February 1999, as a woman alone and never felt anything but safe. A small aside, I said to my driver that I would like to discuss the light situation with him as he seemed not to pay any attention to traffic control measures. His reply, "Madam, green in for go. Yellow is to go a little faster. And, the red, to very fast." And, check with your hotel, mine sent a driver when I arrived and I got into all kinds of hot water because I was not looking for a man with a name card when I went through immigration. And, by the way, it will be the most fabulous vacation you have been on in a long time. And, remember "LO Shukrin." Loosely meaning, no thank you. Say it firmly to all the vendors and they will repond by moving away.

Patricia Aug 30th, 2000 09:30 AM

Alice, I would also love to have your list of helpful hints for Egypt. I'm going via Grand Circle in November 2000 and one of my main concerns is getting sick.

Alice Aug 30th, 2000 03:33 PM

Oh, Jodi, so right. Another thing about taxis is try to hail a taxi away from the front of your hotel. Just walk down the street a bit and stick your arm out New York Style. They're much less prone to haggling. In fact this taxi in front of the Nile (I was there to use the Internet Cafe) would not come down to my price and I wouldn't budge so he walked a few steps away and got someone else for me. I wonder if these taxis have to have special permits to sit in these premium spots (ie Hilton, Mena House, etc)? <BR> <BR>Patricia, the notes will soon be on there way. I'm almost through with PART 4 (The Organized Tour) and will send it along when its completed. <BR>

Katie Aug 30th, 2000 11:12 PM

Alice&gt; <BR> <BR>would you mind sending me a copy too, or am i too late? i'm going to egypt in two weeks, and i'm completely clueless&gt; thank you so much !!!!