Egypt and the Horses and Other Animals

Nov 17th, 2005, 04:41 AM
Original Poster

Egypt and the Horses and Other Animals

I have just returned from 14 days in Egypt. A seven day Nile cruise and then 7 days in Aswan (Old Cataract). It was fantastic.I loved the sights, especially Karnak and Abu Simbel.However, I was a little apprehensive when I read the earlier thread on the condition of the horses pulling carriages, particulary at Edfu.

My view on this is that it is true that the horses condition varies from city to city. Edfu and Esna definitely worse than Luxor and Aswan. Though to be accurate I saw a few beautiful shiny chubby horses. Some of the horse were extremely thin and sad looking. I chose not to take a caariage ride and our group were transported from the ship at Edfu by bus. You could take a carriage ride as an 'extra' in Aswan - chosen by the tour company (they say) because the horses are well looked after.Again I did not go. I did not see any cruelty to the animals. Our guide said that generally the horses condition has improved in the last 10 years and the Brookes Hospital charity based in Aswan and Luxor has greatly contributed to this. Vetinary care at these centres are free and they have provided a shelter in Edfu for horses to stand out of the heat while waiting for customers.I chose to give the money I would have spent on a carriage ride to this charity. I would urge anyone going to this part of the world to consider giving to this charity.
The website is:http://www.thebrooke.org/htdocs/Home_49.php

They advise that if you take a carriage ride to :
Choose a carriage pulled by a horse in a good condition.
Comment to the driver that you have picked his carriage because the horse looks well.
Don't ride more than 4 to a carriage.
Make a fuss of the horse.
Refuse to ride in a carriage pulled by a poorly looking horse.

Also as a warning to other animal lovers thinking of going to Aswan. There are a lot of stray dogs around. Also I was quite distressed at the feral cats on Kitchener Island - some very lame and the way they cry around you for food.There are stray cats at all the sites.I found it hard to walk away.

In conclusion, be prepared for this if, like me, you are sentimental about animals. As I said I did not see any cruelty.

The Egyptian guide said to us, the Egyptians see the animals as their living or as an aid to their work. They do not tend to keep pets.

I hope this is of some help.
Nov 17th, 2005, 11:52 AM

I thought I was the only one who was this sentimental about animals! The condition of some of the animals was heartbreaking to me too. I noticed the horses/donkeys in Luxor were in better shape than Aswan or Edfu, although no where near what I would consider acceptable. Although I have to say Egypt doesn't come close to the stray dog problem that India has. I saw maybe a dozen stray dogs throughout my ten days from Cairo to Aswan, Luxor and back. This is compared to the hundreds I saw in my ten days in India. Another good charity is WSPA, the World Society for the Protection of Animals. I started giving to them after my trip to India.
Nov 17th, 2005, 01:30 PM

Dear Theo, thanks for this update. I had posted back in October about the conditions of the horses at Edfu.. for which I was totally unprepared. I wish I had seen your suggestions in advance of our trip and I would have acted accordingly. Anyone who cares deeply about animals should feel better following your advice. Loulo, thanks for the India tips as well.. it's next on the agenda.. generally speaking I can handle anything if I know what I am getting into...
Nov 21st, 2005, 07:08 PM

There is also a highly recommended program Called ACE animal care in Luxor that is doing a great deal of good work with horses, donkeys and other animals there. http://eoluk.co.uk/ace/index.htm
and
http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/ace.htm

Search this Thread