Egypt and Nile Cruise

Jan 12th, 2005, 10:29 AM
Original Poster

Egypt and Nile Cruise

We are considering an 11 day Legends of the Nile trip with AHI (Alumni Holidays International) in early October. Included are accommodations in Cairo at the Nile Hilton (4 nights), sightseeing in and around Cairo (Giza, Memphis, Sakkara, etc.), flight to Luxor, 5 days/4 nights aboard the Movenpick Rameses II, tours to Luxor, Edfu, Kom Ombo, Aswan, flight to Abu Simbel, and 1 night at the Sonesta Cairo before departing for home. Cost is between $3200 and $3700, depending on cabin category. Has anyone taken this trip? It sounds great, but having been unpleasantly surprised on a previous river cruise from St. Petersburg to Moscow, I'd really appreciate any information about the trip, hotels, boat, food on board (food on board in Russia was beyond awful), and reasonableness of cost. Thanks so much!
Jan 13th, 2005, 05:27 AM
sandi

At the price you list, does that include the International Air from the States? If not, then the prices are very high. You can check the Abercrombie & Kent website www.abercrombiekent.com and will see that their itineraries in March run less then $3,000 for land only. And A&K is one of the most expensive companies that does this itinerary. They also have a better choice of hotels, their own cruise boat which is lovely and certain extras.

You will find most (but not all) on this board have found in-country Egyptian tour operators who can offer the same itinerary (though probably different hotels, cruise boat) for less then $2000 person. In fact, you might even be able to get the Movenpick Rameses II (which is their new boat and quite lovely) from some of these in-country operators.

I would do a "search" on this board - in the box on the top of this board, input Egypt or Egypt tour operators, then click "find" on the right - a list of threads will appear on the left column where you can read threads with names of other tour operators who can more than likely offer the same itinerary for less money.

The itineraries will cover the same stops, being provided an English speaking guide (if you want a private guide it might cost an extra $100 for the two of you). And you can ask for a private guide for your time in Egypt if you wish. Check out some of these other operators before making your decision.

Jan 13th, 2005, 08:02 PM
Original Poster

Sandi - The prices I listed do not include air. We obviously need to do some research and will check out other tour operators. Thanks for the advice!
Jan 13th, 2005, 08:10 PM

Ditto on what Sandi said re: price of the trip. I just returned from a 13 day trip and my price was less than 1/2 of what you've been quoted. You can take a look at a brief trip report by doing a search under my screen name for Trip Report: Egypt.

As an fyi, typically AHI trips' prices are inflated because a portion of the money is supposed to go back to your school...though I've never been able to get a straight answer as to just how much goes back to the college. And the down side is, you're technically the one making the donation but you receive absolutely no tax benefit from it.
Jan 14th, 2005, 05:34 AM
gac1yahoo

I am planning to be in Aswan in Feb. and shopping for cruises. I contacted Movenpic and got the following quote (remmber i am travelling with 2 kids..so i need two cabins)

Radamis 1 is leaving every Friday from Aswan to Luxor:

It is a 3 night’s cruise and I can offer you and your family accommodation as follows:

2 superior cabins each with one large king size bed or two twin beds, 20 sqm for USD 310.00 per cabin per night including service, tax, full board and sight seeing tours.

Radamis 2 is leaving every Saturday from Aswan to Luxor:

2 deluxe cabins each with one large king size bed or two twin beds, 20 sqm for USD 350.00 per cabin per night including service, tax, full board and sight seeing tours.

You can book the hotels using cheaptickets.com

I am deciding whther to do independent or pkg. I got the quote for less $3000 for the family of four including the cruise/hotels.

Jan 14th, 2005, 06:13 AM
sandi

gac1yahoo - I would suggest you arrange your trip as a package. Tour operators can arrange an independent tour for your family at better prices then trying to put it together yourself. That's not to say that sometimes you might save a few dollars on your own, but with a single person/company to deal with has it's benefit.

Tour operators get (contract) better prices from Movenpick (or it could be Oberoi, or any other company with Nile cruise boats). Then the tour operator marks up for their percentage which usually isn't even as high as the price Movenpick quoted. Likewise, the tour operator can arrange your hotel (and like the boats, gets preferred rates from hotels) your tours, etc.

And to repeat, this way you have only one person/company to deal with should the need arise. They will have someone meet you at the airport (you don't have to find your own transport - bus or taxi), take you to hotel, get you checked in. Next day they will be there to take you touring in your own private a/c vehicle. Then when you are ready for the Nile cruise, they will get you to the airport or train station and have someone pick you up at the other end.

As you've no doubt seen from your research, these itineraries can be found at a wide range of prices, but you can definitely do it for you and your family quite reasonably.

Jan 14th, 2005, 06:25 AM

I too would support the virtues of using an organized tour. When we did an Israel/Egypt one in 2000 any extra dollars I spent for the company making all arrangements were well worth the grief saved. As it turned out we missed our flight from Paris to Tel Aviv due to a storm and had to take a much later flight than our group. I called the company and they had an employee meet us at the gate, so to speak. When we arrived late at night, She made quick arrangements for baggage, wisked us thru Israeli customs and had us in the van to the motel in short order. I was most appreciative.Dick
Jan 14th, 2005, 08:47 AM
gac1yahoo

Thank you Sandi..
I am hoping to get a cruise package once I arrive in Aswan for a fraction of the price that's quoted. Don't know whether it is a reasonable assumption..? I will be there mid Fed. A number of people mentioned that you can walk around and look at the cabins and choose the one that offers better price. I understand that it takes time.

I am not taking complete package becaz I am using my hotel points to stay in all the places (sheraton) except in Aswan.
Please advise.

Search this Thread