Egypt and Jordan planning thread

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14th, 2022, 04:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning to go in mid-October so it’s definitely getting tight and busy! Our focus is primarily on Egypt but I’m trying to develop an enjoyable experience in Jordan so that we don’t feel as if we rushed through the country. We have a total of 31 nights for both countries combined. Here is my tentative itinerary and would appreciate feedback and suggestions.
Also, prices are very high in the popular places, too, so any recommendation for hotels that are the equivalent of small boutique hotels are especially recommended. These days, the historic hotels like Old Cataract or Mena House are exorbitant and we won’t be able to go there.

Jordan
Amman - 3
Dana -1
Petra-3
Wadi Rum -1
Dead Sea resort - 2

Flight to Cairo

Egypt
Giza - 3
Alexandria -2
Cairo -2
Luxor -4
Dhabiya -4
Abu Simbel -1
Aswan -2/3
Cairo 1/2 (for GEM)
flight to vienna

Old Jun 14th, 2022, 04:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would have said that was too long in Amman, which is decidedly undistinguished, but if the first night is for getting over jet lag and one day is for Jerash I guess it's OK. I do think there is little point in the two nights at the Dead Sea, though. I would use them for Madaba instead.

I used a tour group for Jordan because I was having trouble with accommodation and transport, with time on my own at both ends. For my trip start here: https://mytimetotravel.wordpress.com...ics-in-madaba/ (with photos and links at the top of the page), or here with Fodors' chit-chat: My mixed-bag month in the Middle East

It's been even longer since I was in Egypt (2000) but I would have thought staying in both Giza and Cairo was redundant. Also, I did Abu Simbel as a day trip by plane.
Old Jun 14th, 2022, 05:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, thursdaysd, yes, the 3 nights include the first day to get over jet lag, then one day for Amman sights and the next for Jerash and Aijlune castle. I had planned to a half day stop in Madaba and Mt. Nebo on the way to Dana - at least that’s what several companies do. I’m not wedded to Dana but many people suggest that it’s a beautiful place to visit. We could also visit Madaba instead of the Dead Sea for 2 nights and go to the airport from Madaba instead.
Old Jun 14th, 2022, 05:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That sounds like a plan. I did my last nights in Amman, and the airport was further than I had expected.
Old Jun 14th, 2022, 06:05 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thursdaysd
That sounds like a plan. I did my last nights in Amman, and the airport was further than I had expected.
Thanks, thursdaysd. I’m still working on the itinerary so will see how this works.​​​​
Old Jun 14th, 2022, 05:30 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
It's always hard to know what to suggest but you might find something useful here:

https://www.travelgumbo.com/blog/portmoresby-in-egypt

Old Jun 14th, 2022, 05:34 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, MmePerdu, I will read your posts. I started to read them a while ago and really enjoyed them so look forward to returning to them.,
Old Jun 16th, 2022, 07:01 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Make sure you do include Mt. Nebo. So much history and you will see the Dead Sea from up there.
I also consider Cairo and Giza as one so you may wish to eliminate a day.
Are you planning to go by boat at all? We were thrilled with traveling to the antiquities by boat on Lake Nasser
especially for Abu Simbel. We pulled up right next to it.

Last edited by HappyTrvlr; Jun 16th, 2022 at 07:12 AM.
Old Jun 16th, 2022, 07:49 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HappyTrvlr
Make sure you do include Mt. Nebo. So much history and you will see the Dead Sea from up there.
I also consider Cairo and Giza as one so you may wish to eliminate a day.
Are you planning to go by boat at all? We were thrilled with traveling to the antiquities by boat on Lake Nasser
especially for Abu Simbel. We pulled up right next to it.
Happy Trvlr, All included! I'm now waiting on the Egyptian agents to come back to me with an itinerary quote and hotel recommendations. The boat on Lake Nasser sounds cool!
Old Jun 16th, 2022, 11:51 AM

Your itinerary in Jordan seems fine. I assume you are just looking for time at the Dead Sea for relaxation. Otherwise, I would cut from there and add to Petra (if you want to do more hiking), Dana, or Amman. One night at Wadi Rum is enough and, yes, you can visit Madaba from Amman or when you return.

For Egypt, 3 nights in Giza seems a lot. I assume you are using it as a base for the Pyramids as well as Saqqara, which would work well. I would visit GEM during this part of the trip, even if it means you want add a night to Giza. It seems that you are adding to unnecessary travel time to visit GEM from Cairo on your way back as GEM is in Giza itself, near the Pyramids. Unless you have a specific reason to organize your Cairo time this way, it may make sense to consolidate Cairo to the end of your trip and go from Alexandria straight to Luxor.
Old Jun 16th, 2022, 01:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, tripplanner,
I’ve actually changed my itinerary and shortened it a bit. We now have 9 days in Jordan and 17 in Egypt.

Yes, the Dead Sea stay is for relaxation and a break before going on to Egypt. My husband isn’t interested in the Dana biosphere so that day was eliminated but I do think 3 nights in Petra will be enough.

in Egypt, I’ve eliminated the trip to Alexandria. I thought 4 days at the beginning and then 2 days at the end for Cairo/Giza, since there is a better chance of seeing the new GEM in mid-November than early November. I get your point about staying in Giza at the end to see the museum though part of the end would be to do any shopping or any other sight seeing we hadn’t done earlier. Did you think it was better to stay in Cairo and drive to the Pyramids? I like the idea of seeing them right away but concerned that we are locked into hotel dinners while staying there. Did you like staying on Zambalek? I’m waiting for one of the agencies to get back to me with recommendations.
Old Jun 17th, 2022, 12:29 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
I didn’t realize how close to Cairo the pyramids are until I looked out of my hotel window and saw them on the other side of the Nile in Giza. A benefit to staying on the Giza side is perhaps escaping Cairo’s terrible traffic jams. When we were near the pyramids in January 2020 new hotels were being built in anticipation of the new museum’s opening nearby.
Old Jun 18th, 2022, 05:02 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HappyTrvlr
I didn’t realize how close to Cairo the pyramids are until I looked out of my hotel window and saw them on the other side of the Nile in Giza. A benefit to staying on the Giza side is perhaps escaping Cairo’s terrible traffic jams. When we were near the pyramids in January 2020 new hotels were being built in anticipation of the new museum’s opening nearby.
Thank you. I'd love to start in Giza just to be able to see the pyramids first thing, though I figured we'd end in Cairo before flying out. I don't really think I want to be in Giza at the end of the trip, even if it is nearer the museum. The opening is scheduled for November so I think we've got a better chance of seeing it in mid-November, just before we fly out, rather than the first few days of November. If it's open by then, I imagine it will be crazy busy!
Old Jun 20th, 2022, 04:41 PM

I prefer to stay in Cairo over Giza as there is much more to pique my interest, day or night. Getting to the pyramids takes about an hour; we left our hotel at 7:00 or 7:30 and were done by about 1:30 or 2:00, leaving us time for lunch at the Mena House. We felt it was enough time, as we went inside the Great Pyramid, walked around a bit, and enjoyed a 2-hour camel ride among some of the lesser known sites.

I enjoyed Zamalek, particularly the northern end of the island as opposed to the southern end, as there is much more interesting shops and restaurants within walking distance. Getting around by taxi is fairly easy, except for the haggling but - for this reason we probably walked more than we may have.
Old Jun 22nd, 2022, 07:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, tp. That’s good to know. I’m working with Djed right now and am waiting to hear back with his recommendations for our trip. This gives me good information for the period of time we’ll be in Cairo. As I’m looking to split the visit between Giza and Cairo, it’ll be helpful to consider Zambalek for our Cairo stay.
Old Jun 26th, 2022, 06:33 PM

The Grand Egyptian Museum is supposed to be opening something this fall. Its opening has been delayed many times but it is located very close to the pyramids in Giza. You might ask your contact if they have any information as it would be worth seeing, if you have the opportunity.
Old Jun 27th, 2022, 06:41 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KTtravel
The Grand Egyptian Museum is supposed to be opening something this fall. Its opening has been delayed many times but it is located very close to the pyramids in Giza. You might ask your contact if they have any information as it would be worth seeing, if you have the opportunity.
Thank you. It's in my plan!