Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Egypt and Jordan Itinerary, please help me finalize. (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/egypt-and-jordan-itinerary-please-help-me-finalize-844123/)

dana123 Jun 9th, 2010 10:26 AM

Egypt and Jordan Itinerary, please help me finalize.

Please help me make a choice. I have the first 9 days of my itinerary done, thanks to your input. I am going to post my two scenarios for the last 7 days. Not sure why I am having such a hard time to decide. Maybe because there is so much to see.

Route 1

Day 1-9 – Cairo, Alexandria, Abu Simbel, Aswan, nile cruise which includes 1 day in Luxor

Day 10 - Extra day in Luxor ??

Day 11 – Fly to Dahab – arrive about 3:00 (include drive from airport)

Day 12 - Dahab - Le Meridian

Day 13 - Dahab- Le Meridian

Day 14- Drive to Petra (stop over in Wadi Rum) arrive about 6:00 p.m.

Day 15 - Petra – all day sight seeing

Day 16 - Drive to Amman, can sight see all day along the way (flight at 11:45)

Route 2

Day 1-9 – Cairo, Alexandria, Abu Simbel, Aswan, nile cruise which includes 1 day in Luxor

Day 10 - Extra day in Luxor ??

Day 11 – Fly to Amman – arrive about 4:25

Day 12 – Drive to Petra, sight see along the way

Day 13 – Petra

Day 14- Drive to Aqaba

Day 15 - Aqaba

Day 16 - Drive to Amman, can sight see all day along the way (flight at 11:45)

Should I add an extra day in Luxor?

We have a car and driver, so would drive from Dahab to Petra, if that is the option we take. I am going to Dahab for the snokeling and the Le Meridian resort, not really to hang in the town.

In route 2, If we skip Dahab, would fly to Amman.
Our main goal in going to Jordan was to see Petra, but now I see there are so many other things to see.

We had wanted to include a beach stop off, just to relax. It is not mandatory, but I thought would be nice.

As always, I appreciate your input.

Axel2DP Jun 9th, 2010 12:00 PM

There are lots to see in both the West Bank and East Bank of Luxor. I would add 1 extra day there. Maybe do West bank on one day and then take in Karnak and Luxor temples on the East Bank on the second day. You can catch the Karnak Sound and Light show in the evening of your first day (or just hang out at Luxor temple at twilight) and then try to do the early AM balloon ride on your second day.

dana123 Jun 9th, 2010 12:28 PM

okay Axel, I am keeping the second day in Luxor !

raelond Jun 9th, 2010 06:27 PM

An extra day or two for Luxor is a must. We spent 3 nights there after our cruise and loved every minute of it.

bgdavies Jun 9th, 2010 11:46 PM

I definitely agree with the other posts suggesting that you spend more time in Luxor. You may be interested in a new website that has just launched (www.iconicguides.com) which is selling very reasonably priced audio guides to all the sites in Luxor (and further afield within Egypt) - a much cheaper and more flexible option than joining the local tours. Just a thought

Casual_Cairo Jun 10th, 2010 05:45 AM

I'm not that much of a Luxor fan myself, so I think 2 days is enough, UNLESS you
1) are traveling in winter and want the warmer weather for swimming possible - providing the pools are open and not closed for winter maintenance
2) are extremely interested in Everything Pharonic and can't get enough of it
or
3) are British and want to hang out with a lot of Brits that are moving to Luxor.

I mention #3 as the last time I was down there, it seems the Brits have taken over the restaurants and even some stores. Luxor was NEVER known for it's food, but even less so now, unless you are looking for Bubbles and Squeek while you are on holiday here. LOL

I would put the extra day in Cairo - there is SO much to do here.

Elizabeth_S Jun 11th, 2010 09:17 AM

I agree with CC except I would put the extra day into Jordan.

sarahh_sf Jul 2nd, 2010 08:28 PM

Hi Dana,
Your itinerary looks great! I'm planning a trip myself and wanted to know if you're booking your hotels/flights/cruise on your own or if you have a travel agent locally who you're working with. Either way, would love to get suggestions on hotel reservations etc. I can be reached at [email protected]
thanks so much!