Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Egypt and Jerusalem (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/egypt-and-jerusalem-777223/)

chnaman Apr 5th, 2009 12:17 PM

Egypt and Jerusalem

Will be in Cairo late May early June.( I guess it won't be so hot yet..right.?)..is 5 days too much for Cairo? Will be seeing Giza, Egyptian Museum, bazaar, do a Nile dinner cruise...any comments on seeing Alexandria and Aqaba.?

Also what is the best way to go into Jerusalem from Cairo.( air, bus, boat..? ..what are the visa requirements, shots needed..etc...Thanks..D

sandi Apr 5th, 2009 01:04 PM

By May it will be hot in the Middle East. Though Cairo evenings can cool down a bit. If only visiting Cairo area, then 5/days allows for a day to Alexandria; remaining time in Cairo can be paced to accommodate some rather hot days.

Aqaba is in Jordan!

Cairo/Jerusalem (Tel Aviv is where the airport is located) - there are flights between CAI/TLV. Check Egypt Air or El Al. There maybe others. See Kayak, www.kayak.com to check flights and prices.

Suggest you pick-up guidebooks for these countries for specific of each. There is a Visa requirement for entry to Egypt, about USD$15 which can be obtained on arrival. Most visitors arriving Israel do not require a Visa, but if you get your passport stamped and plan to visit most Arab countries you might not be allowed entry.

P_M Apr 5th, 2009 01:09 PM

Before anyone can help with visa requirements we need to know your citizenship. If you are a US citizen you can buy your visa at the airport for $15, and be sure to have the correct change. There is no need to get it in advance. For Israel a US citizen does not require a visa. No shots are required but check the CDC for recommendations. I did get the Hep A series and typhoid pills for my Egypt trip but nothing for Israel.

I would fly from Cairo to Tel Aviv, then take a sherut (it's like a shuttle van) to Jerusalem.

Regarding weather--how do you define "not so hot?" Here are some weather stats, it's too hot for my comfort.

http://www.weatherbase.com/weather/w...=066326&refer=

P_M Apr 5th, 2009 01:14 PM

Sandi, I also meant to address the Aqaba question but I hit "post" too soon.

On the chance that you already knew Aqaba is in Jordan I will address the question. It's too far out of your way and not feasible on this trip. If you meant Aswan, you could fly or take an overnight train from Cairo. I wasn't too crazy about the overnight train and since your time is short I recommend flying. Aswan is a very nice town, and much more quiet and peaceful than Cairo.

chnaman Apr 5th, 2009 01:37 PM

THanks Sandi and PM this info is very helpful...as to Sandi's comment about having our Passports stamped and not allowed entry to the country..?..are you refering to stamped in Cairo and not have access to israel or the opposite..we are starting off from Cairo first.

As to PM's comment about temp's.. hot for me is above 92F...so i think we'll stay away from Aswan or anyplace south to the Sudanese border.

Gosh I am having trouble with Egypt Air's website..it doesn't allow me to move forward after typing info in and El Al doesn't fly from Cairo..according to the drop down menu..I maybe doing this wrong and will try again and thru kayak and Vayama, etc...I am sure you're right about this as experienced as you both are.
D

P_M Apr 5th, 2009 02:21 PM

The Israeli stamp issue will not affect you on this trip, but if could affect other trips if you plan to travel to Arab countries such as Syria, Lebanon and a few others. When you try to enter Syria (for example) they will look at your passport to see if you have an Israeli stamp. If you do, they will not allow you entry into Syria. I think this is their way of protesting against Israel.

But this rule does not apply to Egypt or Jordan so on this trip you will be OK.

P_M Apr 5th, 2009 02:23 PM

I forgot to mention--when I went to Israel I asked the clerk not to stamp my passport, either coming in our going out. They honored this request, but I've heard they don't always and sometimes they will stamp it anyway. If I did have an Israeli stamp and I wanted to visit Syria, I would have to get a new passport.

chnaman Apr 5th, 2009 03:40 PM

PM..ah haa...I don't have any plans to visit Syria all though never say never....

Air from Cairo to Tel Aviv is soo expensive..Royal Jordanian is $687 pp..any better way to Tel Aviv.for a 3 day out and back from Cairo..? bus, train, boat...etc...

Maybe a better plan would be to fly to Eiyat..and then go to Petra and stay overnight..???

D

boom4500 May 30th, 2009 09:00 AM

chnaman - did yoy ever figure out your travel arrangements from Cairo to Israel? I need to figure out the same thing for myself and a friend in a couple of weeks. I agree - the flights seem pretty expensive!