Egypt Advice

Sep 29th, 2000, 08:36 AM
SC

Egypt Advice

We have timeshare & have an opportunity to go to Hurghada Egypt in early December with our 9 yr. old. Is it worth going & will we be able to see & do alot if this is during Ramadan? Are the museums, pyramids, & sphinx close to Hurghada (& are they accessible during Ramadan)? How does one travel about? Are day tours expensive there?Will the weather be warm enough for shorts during the day? Are there a variety of foods/restaurants there? Any other thoughts or advice? Thanks much for your help!

Oct 16th, 2000, 10:08 AM
Joel

We visited Hurghada from Luxor by car. It was about a three hour drive as I recall through the most desolate landscape I've ever seen... but very beautiful. Staying in Hurghada to see the cities on the Nile would be roughly equivalent to staying at the Nevada/California border to visit San Francisco, i.e., you can do it but would you really want to?
We spent the day in Hurghada. There's a Sheraton there that was nearly deserted. Lots of good swimming, snorkeling, and diving, but if those are something you're REALLY passionate about, then skip Hurghada. It was a ghost town of small summer places. Maybe it comes alive at some other time of the year. After an hour and a tour on a glass bottom boat to see the coral (which the capt destroyed by going too shallow) we were ready to LEAVE.
We took two trips to Egypt as we were living in France and it was inexpensive. What we learned was that Luxor is a bit better than Cairo if you want to see Egypt's past. Both, though, are varying degrees of fabulous. Alexandria was quite nice as well, but does not require you to spend the night.
We found Movenpick's Hotel Jolie Ville on Elephant Island at Luxor to be fantastic. You can find it by going to Movenpick's website. There is soooo much to see, especially at Luxor that if you have one shot at Egypt I'd recommend you make that it.
To conclude: Hurghada is not worth 3 hours in a car, much less a transoceanic flight.
As to Ramadan: I don't have the answer to that one, but if I had to guess I'd say it wouldn't be a problem as folks have to earn livings.

Oct 16th, 2000, 01:46 PM
Joel

Ooops! I meant to say that unless you are passionate about snorkeling, swimming, and diving then avoid Herghada.

Oct 17th, 2000, 03:40 AM
Myriam

I second Joel's opinion. If you want to see something from the ancient history of Egypt, then forget about staying in Hurghada. It is too far away from both Cairo and the Nile to make daytrips.
If you want to go snorkeling or scuba diving, go for it. The underwater world is amazing.
As far as temperature is concerned: it will we warm enough for shorts and even for swimming in the sea during the day with cold nights (you're in the middle of the desert!!).
I cannot recommend you on restaurants because we have always eaten in hotels in El Gouna (30 km north of Hurghada), also for safety reasons (pharao's revenge, you know).

Search this Thread