Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Egypt (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/egypt-777350/)

chnaman Apr 6th, 2009 06:03 AM

Egypt

Is the best way to Alexandria from Cairo by train or bus.? And is it worth an overnight stay in Alexandria before returning to Cairo , our base? is the train station as cahotic as they say?

Is there a way to Jerusalem overland from Cairo and does it take more than 1 day.?

twelveoaks Apr 6th, 2009 07:58 AM

My wife and I took the train to Alexandria from Cairo and it was very easy and the station is not at all chaotic. Upon return we took the bus and it was very slow and boring. My personal opinion is that knowing what I know now I would have never gone to Alexandria in the first place. The time would have been much better spent in Cairo at the museum, etc.

sandi Apr 6th, 2009 12:29 PM

At one time, many, many years ago (the mid-80s), there was a bus route between Israel (TLV and/or JER) and Cairo. This was when Israel had control over the Sinai Peninsula (since returned to Egypt). The route took travelers thru the Sinai and the Gazi Strip which these days I wouldn't consider the quietest/safest places to be transiting.

If you don't wish to fly - CAI/TLV - there may be an option for bus from Cairo thru the Sinai (long) to Sharm el Sheik at southern end of the Sinai; or bus and ferry to Aqaba, Jordan... then transfer to Eilat (Israel) for road or flight to JER or TLV. These possible options will take many hours vs cost of quick 1/hr flight.

Someone with more current info might be able to advise specifics.

chnaman Apr 7th, 2009 02:56 PM

Thank you twelveoaks and Sandi....

For twelevoaks why didn't you like Alexandria? The info taking the train is helpful and I will take your advice and do that.

Sandi..thanks loads for this and this gives me the info that I needed to compare sceanrios and make my decision...many thanks you are a jewel..

twelveoaks Apr 8th, 2009 08:16 AM

The day trip to Alexandria was VERY long and tiring. The library is just that, a library and , in general the other sights were not that impressive ( to me and my wife )Couple that with the cost and we felt it was not worth it. However, our circumstances might be different than yours. We were on a tour and had limited time in Cairo ( 5 days )to see the pyramids. sphinx, mosque. bazaar , museum, etc. The short time the tour allowed for the museum was insufficient as it needs a full day to do it justice. It is a truly amazing place.Everything is a trade off and we felt that the time we traded from Cairo to Alexandria was a bad decision.

chnaman Apr 9th, 2009 09:07 AM

Thank you twelveoaks I think I'll skip Alexandria also as we have even less time in cairo then you had...

Casual_Cairo Apr 10th, 2009 11:24 AM

Percy Percy Percy - where are you? Don't you have something to say about Alexandria?

I think it just depends on the guide and the tour you have. The Library is just a library if that is how you look at it. I've yet to go in with anyone that didn't give me a WOW when we walked in. Can't imagine who wouldn't think the building was pretty spectacular.

Percy Apr 10th, 2009 12:23 PM

Yes, here I am.

I have to disagree with twelveoaks, I am sure he means well and he is giving you his opinion relative to him not seeing enough of Cairo.

I saw all I wanted to in Cairo with a private guide . You could be therefor a week and still not see everything.....so it is a matter of what and how much you want to see.

I took the early morning train from Cairo to Alexandria with Debbie our tour guide.

We were met at the Alexandria Train Station by Debbie's driver and although we got back to Cairo very late at night, I would not have wanted to miss Alexandria for another day in Cairo.

So here is my opinion of Cairo :

The Library is the nicest Library I have ever seen.. I cannot see anyone not seeing this when you are in Alexandria.

other places are:

1. The Catacombs.

2. The driver along the Corniche along the Mediterranean Sea.

3. The Roman Amphitheatre and Pompey's Pillar.

4. Qaitbey Fort with its great view of the Sea and the City of Alexandria.

5. Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.

6. Abul Abbas Mosque in down town Alexnadria with it's lovely grounds.

7. Mohammed Ali Square ,from where Nasser nationalized the Suez Canal.

8. The Alexandria Waterfront that curves like a Pearl necklace along the Sea.

9. Montazah Palace with it's super grounds by the Mediterranean Sea.
You walk over a bridge and the waves of the Sea splash against the wall... spraying a cool mist on your face as you watch the sunset on the Mediterranean Sea.....you will not experience this in Cairo.!!!!

The Montazah Palace was built for the Mohammed Ali family and they lived her until 1952.

and finally a terrific meal at the Fish Market restaurant ,right beside the sea,with great views of the Mediterranean Sea....it has many pictures inside of all the famous people who have been here and dined here...

Persoanlly if I had the chance to go to Alexnadria I would not miss it .

You want a good tour guide to go with you...then e-mail Debbie at:

E-mail Address
[email protected]

She lives in Cairo.

twelveoaks Apr 10th, 2009 02:43 PM

Hi Percy,

Thanks for the polite way you stated your disagreement with me. I appreciate it. Casual Cairo and I have disagreed on this topic before and I still stand by my personal opinion about Alexandria.Based on the cost, exausting day and other things you can see I regretted the decision to go there. Anyway, this is what this forum is all about and now the reader can way the opinions and make his/her decision.

jmvp Apr 10th, 2009 04:50 PM

I have to agree with Percy,

I was in Egypt last year and made arrangements to see Alexandria with a private guide.

The Cairo train station is busy but it is one of the many experiences you will have while visiting Egypt. The trip to Alexandria is a complete full day, and you will see all the things that Percy had stated so well.

Alexandria is along the Mediterranean Sea, which makes for a very different climate and scenery than Cairo.

The Roman ruins are amazing, and just off the Qaitbey Fort there are continued deep sea archeological finds, some believe connected to Cleoptra, that are on display at the Roman Ruins.

The Library is one of the most amazing places I have ever seen. When you walk into this building your mouth will open in amazement, there are no words to explain it. Imagine silence in a library. The history behind this library is in itself amazing and if you plan to go, it would be worthwhile to read a little on it.

The Fish Market is wonderful and here you will get fantastic food while looking out at the Sea with the Qaitbey Fort and many Fishing Vessels in your sights. Beautiful!
I think that the trip to Alexandria is well worth the long ride there and back by train.

You should have a guide when you go to maximize your time and see the best of Alexandria, all of which was very well outlined by Percy.

I also went with Debbie, and it was one of the highlights of our trip.

Percy Apr 10th, 2009 05:12 PM

Hi twelveoaks:

Thank you for the kind words. I certainly did not want to offend.

I can also appreciate your long bus ride back, because the train ride was tiring on the way back.....because it was dark outside and nothing to see on the way back....but then it was late anyway ,so you might as well get some sleep.

I have to agree with jmvp, that the long ride back was worth it for everything I saw and did in Alexandria.

It is always a decision about whether to go to Alexandria or not when one is in Cairo.

I did Alexandria at the end of my Cairo ,Nile Cruise and Abu Simble tour.

But I would not do Alexandria on my own. Without Debbie I would have been lost once I got off the train in Alexandria.

So for those that want to go to Alexandria from Cairo.... I say,try to book Debbie to take you there.

(I even got the Flu in Alexandria and was sick all the way on my flight back home.)..........but I am very happy I went to Alexandria.

Thank you twelveoaks,I appreciate your opinion of your trip there .:)
Good Night.

althom1122 Apr 11th, 2009 04:56 AM

I'll chime in with a slightly different view - sort of in the middle. We went to Alexandria as part of a group tour and spent one night. We very much enjoyed it. Alexandria is quite different from Cairo and we especially liked the Catacombs (my favorite) and the library (my daughter's favorite). We also really, really enjoyed walking around on our own downtown at night. The streets were bustling with local shoppers (very few tourists), and it was a fascinating experience. The view of the Mediterranean from our hotel and along the Promenade was also wonderful. (And although we didn't see Alexandria with Debbie, we did have two days in Cairo with her, and I feel certain she'd be great for Alexandria, too!)
That said, I think it depends on the amount of time you have and what else you might have to sacrifice to see it. It was not a highlight of our trip compared to Cairo, Aswan, and Luxor - they're the main reasons we came to Egypt and they did not disappoint! Alexandria offered a very different, and fascinating, look at Egypt - worthwhile if you have the time - but on a very short trip, I'd skip Alexandria in favor of Upper Egypt.
As for the train station, yes, it's a bit chaotic, but not more so than train stations in other parts of the world. The bathrooms are pretty bad, so I'd try to avoid them if possible. (We went via bus to Alexandria, but by train to Aswan.)
Also, if you do visit Alexandria and have the opportunity to stop at Wadi Nastrum, it's well worth the detour.
For more details about our experiences, check out my trip report (Karen and Julie's Egyptian escapades...)
Best of luck in your planning!
Karen

jerseysusan Apr 11th, 2009 05:18 AM

I also think you should give more serious consideration to going to Alexandria. My son and I enjoyed our day there - detailed in my trip report. The above posts named many places well worth seeing in Alexandria. Even though the ride there was long, it was great to be along the Mediterranean.

Whatever you decide I'm sure you'll love Egypt.

Percy Apr 11th, 2009 08:23 AM

Well, chnaman.......... you have all the nice pros and cons

about going to Alexandria.

So now you have a decision that only you can make!

Good Luck

chnaman Apr 11th, 2009 08:28 AM

WOW is all I can say for all your great commentaries and ideas..this makes it just fantastic for me and i will have a great time..kudos to you all.

BeniciaChris Apr 11th, 2009 03:42 PM

Thank you Percy-I was debating about going to Alexandria next year and you convinced me it is a much see. I beleive Dick & Liz went with their guide which is probably what we will do-Thanks-chris

Percy Apr 12th, 2009 05:43 PM

Chris:

If possible ,I would do Alexandria at the beginning of your Cairo /Nile tour.

It is much easierm ( in my opinion ) to come into Cairo a few days earlier..

Take Care

Lolo12 Apr 13th, 2009 12:26 PM

I have to jump in here and give my opinion also.

I was on a group tour in January that started with 3 nights in Alexandria before going on to Cairo and beyond. It was wonderful and I wouldn't have missed it. I did nearly everything Percy did, including a wonderful dinner at the Fishmarket restaurant.

The catacombs, the Roman Theater, Ft Qaitbey, walking along the Corniche, and of course the library were all superb. the tour that the library offered was very interesting as well and it is indeed a "drop-dead" feeling when you enter it.I stayed at the El Salamek Palace hotel which is right by the grounds of the Montaza gardens.
I took the train to Alexandria from Cairo and our group had a bus returning to Cairo stopping at St Bishoy Monastery - also very interesting.
I would not have wanted to miss Alexandria.

Percy Apr 13th, 2009 01:42 PM

Hi Lolo12

Glad you enjoyed the same places I did.

I hate people to miss Alexandria when they are in Cairo for their Nile tour.

It may cost a bit more for that extra day .....but you might never be this way again.

There is a lot of history in Alexandria.. famous scholars were here.

One is Erastosthenes ( his monument is on the vast grounds of the Library.)...whatdid he do.!!

He accurately caculated the Circumference of the Earth... among other as a poet ,writer , and mathematician!!

There is also a monument to Alexander the Great on the library grounds.

Lolo12 Apr 14th, 2009 04:23 AM

In yesterday's mail I received the new Travel and Leisure magazine which I immediately devour. Lo and behold - quite an article about the Library at Alexandria.
If this magazine features it, why would anyone miss going there while in Egypt?