Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Eco desert tours - highly recommended (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/eco-desert-tours-highly-recommended-977188/)

dgunbug May 8th, 2013 05:36 AM

Eco desert tours - highly recommended

While we were in Israel, we decided to visit Petra in Jordan. My husband and I are independent travelers and rarely take tours. However, we decided to take a tour to Petra from Eilat. Prior to leaving for Israel, we had read good reviews on Eco desert tours and we had contacted them in an effort to decide which of their tours would be best for us. Their response was quick and professional, as was the service they provided throughout our dealings with them. We selected the overnight tour which is a good value for the money. A visit to Petra is extremely expensive, but much of the cost is the entrance fees which cannot be helped. Our overnight package included lunch at Petra, the amra hotel, and dinner and breakfast at the hotel. The hotel was very comfortable and we saw no reason to upgrade to a different hotel. The staff and service were excellent and there was free wifi throughout the hotel. Staying overnight was beneficial as it gave us extra time to explore Petra on our own.

We were picked up by van at our hotel for the tour and joined a larger tour group at the border. Eco desert tours facilitates the border crossing with guides on both ends, making it effortless. We entered Jordan with a group of tourists and were taken by bus to Petra. During the drive there, a guide provided us with interesting information about Jordan and about Petra. This same guide accompanied us through Petra, until a late lunch, at which point another couple and my husband and I separated from the group to continue on. At the end of the day, we returned to the Eco desert tour company's office where we had left our overnight bags and they provided transportation to the amra hotel. The next morning we were picked up by a taxi to return to the Jordan/Israel border crossing. Once again, a representative from the company met us in each side of the border to facilitate the border crossing and we were then taken back to our hotel.

We couldn't have been more pleased with our experience with Eco desert tour company and would recommend them without reservations. The trip to Petra was the highlight of our 3 week trip to Israel and should not be missed!

colduphere May 8th, 2013 05:46 AM

Dgunbug - glad it went well. That's an interesting last sentence.

dgunbug May 8th, 2013 02:26 PM

Ok coldupthere - I realize Petra is not in Israel! But, it was the highlight of our trip, along with visiting family members in Israel and attending a family wedding there.

colduphere May 8th, 2013 03:13 PM

It wasn't a criticism. But it does reflect a problem the Jordanians have. Many people think of Petra as an add-on to an Israeli trip. That's okay but they would really like people to spend a few days in Jordon when they come to see Petra.

dgunbug May 9th, 2013 01:59 PM

Would have loved to have spent more time in Jordan, but unfortunately, not enough time.