Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Should I skip Cape Town in late June because of weather?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 04:10 PM
Evan

Hello,<BR><BR>I am in the process of planning a surprise trip for my wife's birthday to South Africa.<BR><BR>She has always wanted to go on safari, which we will do for about 5 or 6 days (I think Singita!), but has been DREAMING of going to Cape Town, the Winelands, and the Garden Route.<BR><BR>However, I am VERY concerned considering the only time we can go is late June, early July. I know this is the Cape's winter, and have read that it rains a lot. I know we will be fine up by Kruger, but I read the Cape in winter is a whole other story!<BR><BR>How bad is the rain, and will it severely hamper our efforts to enjoy all that Cape Town, the Winelands, and the Garden Route has to enjoy?<BR><BR>Thank you very much for your help - I am investing a great deal for this trip, and do not want it spoiled by horrible weather.<BR><BR>Thanks again! - Evan

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 07:38 PM
tim

I have been there June July and had warm days and no rain - there is no telling. I would take a chance and go, especially if there is only a slim chance that you will ever get to CT again.

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 07:58 AM
Eunice

We have been in Cape Town a month now and with the exception of just a few days of mild rain the weather has been warm and sunny.

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 07:15 PM
Taylor

We were in Cape Town in early June for a few days and the weather was gorgeous. We heard a few days later it was blustery and cloudy. Overall - it is unpredictable but we expected cold and rainy and were pleasantly surprised. The area is so pretty that you would probably enjoy it in any case. By the way - we were in SA for 2 weeks on our honeymoon and LOVED SA!!! We really enjoyed the V&A Hotel in Cape Town. Thought the Blue Train to Pretoria was worth the money. Found the Westcliffe beautiful but cold - both staff and the all marble bathrooms - burrr. LOVED LOVED Tanda Tula tented camp in Timbavati. Mala Mala delivered on animals sightings but otherwise was ok to good. We liked Palace of the Lost City in Sun City for some R&R by the pool and the beauty of the hotel. We used African Travel Gateway to book our lodgings and train and they gave us better prices than anyone...and I shopped around. E-mail me if you want more info.

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 07:29 AM
Deb

Don't miss CapeTown regardless of weather concerns. It is one of the most beautifully situated cities in the world (if not the best - my others are Vancouver, Hong Kong & San Fran). Table mountain, Cape of Good Horn etc. are not to be missed! It shows an entirely different side of South Africa. The Winelands are wonderful as well.