driving around south africa!

Old Jul 20th, 2005, 02:37 PM
egg
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
driving around south africa!

we're off to south africa on friday for seventeen days and are planning on doing a lot of driving while we're there. as it stands now we start in capetown and spend about five or six days before driving our way to durban with stops along the way.
once we get to durban, however, we're unsure how to proceed. we plan to go to jaci's at madikwe and maybe on to gaberone and then to johannesburg for a few days before we fly home.
is it unreasonable to drive from durban to madikwe/gaberone/johannesburg?
would we be better to fly from durban to johannesburg rent a new car and carry on from there to madikwe/gaberone and back down?
OR are we better to fly/bus/train/whatever from durban on?
we're canadians, and used to driving long distances, but we don't want to waste time driving if we'd be better off flying some legs of our trip.
none of our plans are firmed up, so we're open and grateful for any input.
thanks!
Old Jul 20th, 2005, 05:18 PM

I believe the drive from Durban to Joburg is only about 4 hours. Probably quicker than getting to the airport, flying and then picking up a car in JNB
Old Jul 20th, 2005, 11:01 PM

If you take four hours you run the risk of being fined for speeding! More like five hours, central Durban to central Jo'burg. Even with newer toll roads (mostly double carriageway) it's still close to 500km.

But a relative breeze. Many South Africans travel that route just for a weekend. There are alternative routings to the toll sections, where the speed limit is 100kph not 120kph and which would lengthen the journey by maybe half an hour. Personally, I ALWAYS take the "Drakensberg route", one of those alternative sections. I do so because it is more scenic, but it also bypasses a couple of tolls. Total tolls (five of them) are at present R111.50 one way.
Old Jul 20th, 2005, 11:53 PM

The route between Cape Town and Port Elizabeth is the most scenic of your trip... spend quite a bit of time there.

From PE to Durban the route is so-so, make sure you go through the Transkei in daytime, lots of animals on the road. If you can, fly it.

Durban - Johannesburg, I concur with the above, take the alternative Drakensberg road (the 'Midlands Meander'), and spend a night or two en route. Real lovely.

For a driving holiday, I would rather suggest you visit the Kruger Park and surroundings, because the route from Johannesburg there has much more to offer than the Jhb-Madikwe stretch.

Not sure why you want to visit Gaberone, it's far from the most scenic place there is. Rather spend more time in your SA destination.
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 07:39 AM

Hi,
this is a bit off topic, but I've been looking for canadians heading to south africa. I'm going in december and am looking for cheap flights out there. Any ideas?
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 11:08 PM

Just a clarification on the Durban/Jo'burg route alternatives, following Charl's post. When I referred to the "Drakensberg route", I wasn't thinking of the Midlands Meander.

My route leaves the N3 at Frere, taking the road to the "moiddle 'berg". It then goes through Winterton and Bergville and past Sterkfontein dam before rejoining the N3 at Harrismith. It's only 12km longer, albeit at a lower speed limit.

But if you have the time, then yes, the Midlands Meander, which leaves the N3 earlier (and rejoins it before Frere?, I can't remember) is an additional option. It's more of a diversion from what I remember, with options to stop at craft shops etc. en-route. As opposed to what I was referring, just a more scenic alternative to a stretch of the N3.
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 04:03 PM

FYI Joburg to Madikwe is three hours.