Eastern Turkey -- Been There?

Apr 18th, 1998, 07:47 PM
Arizona

Eastern Turkey -- Been There?

Any advice about travel around eastern Turkey would be appreciated. Van, Erzerum, Trabzon, Corum, Kayseri, Adiyaman, Sanliurfa, Antakya, Adana. Thanks for any and all input.

Apr 21st, 1998, 05:57 PM
Charlotte

Some of these places you mention are very touristy with many English holiday makers using them for the summer, e.g., Antalya. there are loads of airports scattered across the East, Aegean and Mediterranean areas, such as Dalaman, Antalya, and a newley opened (less than one year) Apt at Bodrum... at present its not easy to get european flights to Bodrum, mainly going via Istanbul. I think you'll find many locals speak English due to the holiday makers....even so, the language isn't hard and you'll soon pick up the basics! The main form of travel is by Dolmus...roads are a bit hairy in many places, so all road transport is SLOW! But, they are very cheap, I'd recommend you take a base and work the surrounding areas. If you want civilisation, try the Bodrum Peninsula, its a major resort area, but there seems to have been a degree of the real Turkey retained in the smaller coastal villages.
Don't attempt these areas in high summer (July, August), you'll find it hard to find accommodation in the resort areas and the place will be awash with English and Germans! may and June are quite good, and not too hot, although last year there was a heat wave in the third week of june where inland temperatures soared and it was unpleasant to travel.
GOOD LUCK!

May 20th, 1998, 01:38 PM
Gaar Decker

I have been to Tureky 5 times. The last time I traveled throughout all of Kurdistan (southeast) and the Kackar mountains (northeast). Have been to Antalya, Erserum, Trabzon, Artvin, Samson and backpacking up in the Kackar mountians. I have lots of information that will be useful to you. E-Mail me and I can tell you more. I envy you!

Search this Thread