Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > Eastern & Sothern Safaris - Guide Recommendations? Patty??

Eastern & Sothern Safaris - Guide Recommendations? Patty??

Dec 9th, 2005, 04:19 AM
Original Poster

Eastern & Sothern Safaris - Guide Recommendations? Patty??

Finally decided to book with E&SS for February Kenya Trip. Of all my communications with various companies in Kenya Serah of ESS was the most prompt. After reading the reviews on this board I am comfortable with my choice.
I would like to know if anyone can reccommend a specific ESS guide? It may be too late to be picky, but you never know!
Patty - I notice in one of your threads you say you are happy to be having the same ESS guide again, would you please elaborate if you read this??
Thanks,
Lin
Dec 9th, 2005, 05:43 AM

Hi Lin,
The guide we had for both of our safaris with ESS was Julius. I can highly recommend him, though their other guides are probably equally good in case Julius isn't available. They're a small outfitter so I think they can be more selective as to the guides they employ. Another couple who traveled with ESS a couple of weeks before we did also had Julius as their guide, and they wrote me yesterday to say that they were very happy with him. Hope this helps. What's your itinerary like if you don't mind me asking?
Dec 9th, 2005, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Patty,

We chose to do a week - Samburu, Mt Kenya, Nakuru and Mara. This will be our first safari though we've been dreaming for a while! I have been reading the Africa boards for a while and it sounds as if one trip is definitely not enough. Initially I was going to book with 2Afrika but once I started perusing this board I realized I could do much better booking direct in Kenya. Thanks for the info everyone!

Our sis & b-i-l originally planned to join us but had to back out. They were so excited when we asked them that we are sure they will want to go at a later date. So we can go again (somewhere else) with them.

Serah was great. Making suggestions about our itinerary to minimize drive times etc. In a crazy way we are looking forward to the bumpy drive as part of the safari experience. Serah's quotes alawys gave 'transit times' which nobody else did. I'm sure we'll be happy with their service. Perhaps we'll be lucky enough to get Julius, though as you say I'm sure the guides are all good.

We are excited to be going at last!

Cheers,
Lin
Dec 9th, 2005, 12:13 PM

It's not crazy - I enjoy the drives too. Our first trip was an all drive safari and we had planned an all drive safari this time, but the last leg was just one too many and in the end we opted for a flight back (but we'd also been traveling for 2 weeks at that point). In case you change your mind after you see the roads you could try adding a flight back like we did. I don't know about February, but it was no problem arranging a flight with a few days notice in November. Have a great trip!

Search this Thread