Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   East Africa: Taking on too much (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/east-africa-taking-on-too-much-485545/)

schlegal1 Nov 11th, 2004 07:36 AM

East Africa: Taking on too much

My husband and I are considering spending about 18 days (including travel time) in East Africa (Kenya and Tanzania). This will be a blowout trip for us and we probably won't be going back anytime soon so we don't want to miss anything spectacular.

On to my question:
We really want to spend 6 days climbing Kilimanjaro and then the rest of the time in Kenya on safari. We are young, healthy, and physically fit (and willing to do some training). Are we biting off more than we can chew? Also, has anyone done a similar trip that can recommend a tour guide/itinerary?

Thanks so much!

sandi Nov 11th, 2004 01:38 PM

I don't believe a climb of Kili and then touring Kenya is too much. In fact on our very first trip to Kenya, we met a 50+ woman the day before we left who was traveling solo and was planning exactly what you are considering.

She arrived in Nairobi, was transfering next day to Tanzania for the climb, then returning to Kenya for safari. We spoke with her three months later and she said it was the most amazing experience, and she was so proud of herself, as she did much better then those half her age. A great gal!

Just about any in-country Kenyan safari outfitter can handle the climb and safari, so let me suggest you contact:

[email protected]
[email protected]

same company, but send your request to both addresses (sometimes the servers are down, so either one is a back-up). Outline for them what you would like to accomplish - the climb, where and what you would like to see/visit in Kenya - provide information as to when (time of year/month), whether you wish accommodation in lodges or camps, of course, an idea of your budget give them an idea of your budget and have them price it for you. They'll design an itinerary exclusively for you with your own guide/driver, though you might want to consider flights for some of the longer distance between some destinations in Kenya.

If not now, when? Go for it.

Kavey Nov 11th, 2004 01:50 PM

I have never done this but have read a number of reports recently on Lonely Planet's Thorn Tree Africa Board of people who signed up with local outfitters for the trip and found out too late that the promised suitable hiking boots, clothing, tents, sleeping bags and all other manner of items were not provided. One of the reports was downright scarey in that the guide didn't seem to know the way and got them lost a number of times adding extra hours onto an already gruelling ascent. I think in something like this it's vital to book with a really well-known and reliable operator (local or not) and ensure that everything is just as it should be before you set out.

GOOD LUCK!

schlegal1 Nov 16th, 2004 08:04 AM

Sandi and Kavey:

Thanks for your helpful input. I think we might try to take this on. We are worried about altitude sickness but want to at least make an attempt at the mountain.

Kavey Nov 16th, 2004 08:12 AM

Shlegal
Only one way to find out!!
It might be worth including in the details of the arrangment some plans for what would happen if you find you are unable to proceed with the climb and come down early - what kind of accommodation will the operator you choose provide for you, can the guide who would have been with you up the mountain provide game viewing guiding instead or can someone else? Just so you're not left at an expensive loose end should the attempt on Kili not go to plan.
THAT SAID I'm sure you'll be OK - GOOD LUCK!