East Africa in Sept.-How cold are the nights?

Aug 31st, 2004, 06:45 AM
Original Poster

East Africa in Sept.-How cold are the nights?

I am leaving in five days to East Africa. I have heard it gets cold at night in East Africa, especailly around the Noragoro Crater and morning Jeep rides. Will a long sleeve tee shirt and a sweat shirt be enough or should a bring a warmer jacket (more than a wind breaker). Do I need to worry about any rain?

Thanks,

Lucretia
Aug 31st, 2004, 09:41 AM

We were in East Africa in Sept 2002 and did not take enough warm clothes. The only place it really got cold was on the rim of the Crater, we had shorts and a light jacket, would recommend sweat pants and a heavier jacket (we were camping, so if you are staying in a lodge, it won't be so bad). And it was pretty cold in the early morning leaving for the game drive, so if you will be in an open vehicle, you may want to prepare for that also.
We had rain our first day in Tanzania, very dry the rest of the time so I doubt that will be a worry. Have a great trip.
Aug 31st, 2004, 10:47 AM
sandi

With the Crater rim being at about 7,500-ft. it's cold up there year round. But generally you will find the mornings and evenings/nights chilly to cold. It's recommended to dress in layers and peel these off as the day goes on. Unless you will be in an open vehicle, you'll be fine in the vehicle and not till lunch will you be outside and able to walk around. By then the temps will have warmed up. Rain is also rare at this time of the year, and since you won't be doing much walking, should there be showers you'll probably be inside something - vehicle or lodge/camp. Besides, lodges/camps have umbrellas available if needed. Enjoy your trip and don't forget that we'll be waiting for your report when you return. Happy travels.

Search this Thread