Earthquake in Mozambique

Feb 24th, 2006, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

Earthquake in Mozambique

Does anyone know anything about the quake yesterday? There's little on the news in the US. I understand it was severe, but not many casualties. Did it do much damage?

It's about 5 years since I was in Mozambique, I feel badly that the majority of the population are living in poverty, while a few, of course, life in luxury - which is normal for third world countries.
These people do not need natural disasters, but they seem to get them often.

I, along with my husband, brother and sister-in-law drove from Maputo to Biara not long after the flooding disasters in that country. The local people we met along the way seemed so friendly, and happy in spite of their huge problems. We were happy to stop and buy whatever we could along the way to help, in our small way.

I hope the quake yesterday doesn't stop tourists from exploring this interesting country. Of course the existance of so many land mines makes travel off the main areas too dangerous, but there are many beaches, fishing camps and other places that are safe. I hope to return some day. - Joan
Feb 24th, 2006, 10:38 AM

Hi Joan,

Following is taken from travelinfo.co.za:

MOZAMBIQUE Tourism Authority, Futur, has told TNN there has been no damage to any of the country’s tourism infrastructure following an earthquake that hit the country around midnight on February 23.

The earthquake struck near Beira, a port town not frequented by tourists. The country’s tourism authority said tourism had not been affected and activity is continuing as normal.

Reports late yesterday indicated that two people were killed and 15 injured in the earthquake, which measured 7.5 on the Richter scale. Shock waves were felt as far south as Durban. The city’s disaster management team reported no damage to infrastructure.

Regards,
James
Feb 24th, 2006, 02:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, James,

It seems we get more up to date information from this forum than the usual stateside news sources. Perhaps Mozambique is just too far away to catch the attention of most people..sad.
- Joan

Search this Thread