Earth in 2050: Expect 9 billion humans

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17th, 2004, 09:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting article on msnbc.com about the world's population growth.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5732657/

"While the population of developed countries would rise 4 percent to over 1.2 billion, the population in developing nations would surge by 55 percent to over 8 billion. Countries in Africa and south Asia would see the largest increases."

We all better enjoy Africa and it's wilderness while we can because it's not looking too good for the future. I can't even begin to imagine the effect this will have on the animals and their habitats.
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 06:07 PM

At the same time the population of the US will increase from 293 million to 420 million - yikes! Imagine Universal Studio or Disney Land in 2050 on a holiday weekend!
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 06:17 PM
Original Poster

I'm sure not gonna be standing in those lines!

Imagine even grocery shopping or getting gas at the gas stations. Holy Canoli! Where are we gonna put all these people?
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 07:10 PM

WARNING, readers are advised to skip this message if they are subject to nightmares.....

Imagine all the retired baby boomers ( "the pig in the python" )with all that discrtionary $$$$...."the largest transfer of money in history".
It won't all be going to the kids and other non-profits. How much stuff can youy buy, how big of a house do you need if your not climbing the ladder, the kids don't permanently return...or fantasies of all family fantasies, everyone doesn't home for the holidays!!!! And....yada, yada, yada.

Why I can hear it now, "What about a safari?", "How about going to..." I mean wouldn't you, I would!

They have had lotteries for Xmas holidy dinners in Yosemite for years. If you want to camp in a Ca. State Park on a weekend or in the summer you better be online to book reservations the day it's open. Hey, I'm a Pasadena native, until I left so-cal when I was 18 I didn't know there was anything but a population explosion!!!

daDUHdaDUHdaDUH JAWS soundtrack

(...pssst Mombo high season 2005 is almost full.)
sweeeeet dreams
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 07:12 PM

Finally I see an advantage to being dead by then.
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 07:35 PM

As I greatfully remember:
We are riding the crest of the wave.
Let's all hang-10
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 11:24 PM

Hi, I remember vividly my last night in zimbabwe, HARARE. Watching a little TV at the hotel. The news had something about the population hitting 6 billion! That was OCT 1999. Even then I was stunned and wondering what will happen soon. Even now it is not a pretty picture. Never mind in 2050. I am glad we didn't add to this. It's too bad my young niece & nephew won't be able to see what most of us have seen. I won't be alive to witness this.
Depressing.
divewop, would you mind e-mailing me? I have a question for you.
[email protected]
thanks, david
Old Aug 18th, 2004, 12:13 AM

It's also one of the reasons I have no intention of having kids, not only because I don't think the world has any desperate need for my genes to be perpetuated but also because I don't wish to introduce them to a world that I think our generation is just not looking after.
Old Aug 18th, 2004, 04:36 AM
Original Poster

We're kid free too for the same reasons. I figure we could always foster or adopt if it gets to that point. There are so many unwanted children out there.

I never did want children unless of course, they were and are the furry, four legged variety. I have an abundance of those and if I had the land, I'd probably have even more.

I just wish I had enough money to buy several thousand acres somewhere in Africa so I could help protect the precious animals and land that make up the vanishing habitats there.

Old Aug 18th, 2004, 06:02 AM

Interesting correlation here - I too am kid-free by choice & I too am an obsessive Africophile!

Which comes first??

Be warned all you honeymooners!
Old Aug 18th, 2004, 09:08 AM

HEY YOU GUYS. This is a fab planet, aren't you glad you have the gift of life?
When I wrote we are riding the crest of the wave I meant it. I didn't say I thought we were about to crash! It's scarey, the unknown is always scarey. That's the challenge of it. Who would want to go back to the past?
I have to make a reservation to go to Yosemite, but Yosemite is in great shape.,,probably better than when I was a kid. It's managed. More people than ever, but it is wonder-ful. We're not helpless
That we can't imagine the future doesn't mean it will be worse.
Again, who would want to go back to the past? Not a pick and choose past, but the past.
We cann't begin to imagine the future. The wealth is spreading and that is a good thing. Opportunities are expanding and that is a good thing. We're all beneficiaries of this. The good old boys club isn't what it used to be, it's better. We're in it

Ofcourse we know what the answer to out of controlled growth is. The solution is simple and it is happening.
Educated women have fewer children and raise the standard of living for everyone. This is a universal Truth....ok, maybe it's not truer than a Law, bu it is see-un-tific

EDUCATED WOMEN have fewer children and raise the standard of living for everyone.
EVERYONE, and you know we're a greedy bunch of monkeys
who can imagine the future? How can one not be atleast cautiously optimistic
ps
Ofcourse, the other great Truth I always keep in mind, and helps keep the little perspective I can manage when life really hurts, is that life is hard. I'd put it in caps, but it's one of those truths I whisper, I keep the caps for when I'm in the middle of it

Old Aug 18th, 2004, 01:37 PM
Original Poster

Just got an update from one of many of my conservation action centers.

"The future of lions, elephants, great
white sharks and many other species will be decided in Bangkok this fall. In November, delegates from 165 countries will meet to adopt new rules on global trade in scores of threatened and endangered species from rare parrots in Mexico to rainforest trees in Indonesia."

mzcuriouz-
Hopefully what you say will come to fruition at the above meeting and the delegates will do the right thing by these animals.

So much is at stake in Africa and so many other countries and it is up to humans to protect these creatures now that we have all but wiped out species and their habitats. Let's wait and see what develops out of this.

Hopefully there will be enough land set aside for these creatures so we can share the world with them and not kill them for profit, greed and/or trophies.

The human overpopulation issue is bad enough to deal with but compiled on top of that is the illegal animal trade. Worldwide it is second only to the illegal drug trade which proves how big of a problem we are dealing with.

And I do agree, education...education...education is key to a lot of the world's issues!
Old Aug 18th, 2004, 06:38 PM

Another kidless one here.
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 04:42 AM

take a look at this time article. like i have said. if it pays it stays. it says the big cats are the pests. it's really the other way round. they talk of the population growth. but not curbing it , not even a little.
marvin gaye, said in one of his old songs: how much more can she stand. http://www.time.com/time/covers/1101040823/story.html
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 06:01 AM
Original Poster

TuskerDave-
Can't access the whole article w/out paying but I think I get the gist of it. I don't know that I could handle reading the whole thing. It might be too depressing.
Aaaargh...it's so frustrating because I just don't want to see anything happen to these animals in this century or any other century. They belong here!!